If I was to buy a helmet cam ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I strenuously object to the assertion, made utterly without evidence, that people running helmet cameras are somehow out looking to create incidents. It's rubbish, of course.
So do I, I have a camera. My point is that those without are possibly having their views of those with distorted by the minority of those that post them up.

Those without know nothing about those that do but do not post them up as they are not put up!

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Bizarrely this is the most level and mostly positive Cam thread on CC..

dodd82

I'm going to reiterate what a few have already said, in the naive hope that it might sink in.

You should not judge cyclists that use helmet cams purely on those that upload their footage to YouTube.

I bought one because I was driven into on purpose, and it shook me up. When I posted about it on here, some people again said that I'd soon be looking for arguments and posting silly bits of footage. I should not bother and get on with enjoying my cycling, they said.

Well you know what? None of it happened. I have uploaded two videos in 6 months. One is a truck that came within inches of my pedal, and another is of me falling off, which was posted because it's funny.

It hasn't changed my riding style, it hasn't made me look for incidents, and I haven't suddenly got the urge to trawl through footage looking to entertain my YouTube channel.

And I bet there's plenty out there just like me.

Black Country Ste

I don't go looking for trouble. I go about my journey and something might happen to upset me. Camera or not, I might react to it. Then I might upload it. I have other outlets for attention seeking if that's what I wanted to do.

D

Deleted member 20519

If you're wanting to mount a camera to your handlebars I'd say go for a GoPro, if you're looking to mount one to your helmet I'd go with a Contour.
DSCF9989.JPG

Does your bubble of self-righteousness and zen-like calm afford much protection?
Does a helmet camera offer much protection?I think being calm while cycling does help you ride sensibly and minimise risk.

I mean we've all been driven by someone when they're stressed or running late for something; their standard of driving does decrease and I'm sure the same applies to riding a bike. I know I've had times in the past when I've got in a rage over another motorist and compromised my safety trying to chase them down. If I had had a helmet camera I sure some of those situations would have been even worse.

I just think having a helmet cam is one more thing to get worked up when you have an incident. Instead of thinking, 'ok, let's forget about this and make sure we cycle safe the rest of the way', you're thinking, 'omg, this is so going on youtube tonight and I'm reporting it to the police and roadsafe rargh!' instead of focusing on the road.

Yopu can tell what other people are thinking?

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Does a helmet camera offer much protection?I think being calm while cycling does help you ride sensibly and minimise risk.

I mean we've all been driven by someone when they're stressed or running late for something; their standard of driving does decrease and I'm sure the same applies to riding a bike. I know I've had times in the past when I've got in a rage over another motorist and compromised my safety trying to chase them down. If I had had a helmet camera I sure some of those situations would have been even worse.

I just think having a helmet cam is one more thing to get worked up when you have an incident. Instead of thinking, 'ok, let's forget about this and make sure we cycle safe the rest of the way', you're thinking, 'omg, this is so going on youtube tonight and I'm reporting it to the police and roadsafe rargh!' instead of focusing on the road.

I can only speak for myself, but that just doesn't happen.
I wear my camera for piece of mind - an independent witness should anything happen. And also to examine my own riding to see if I can improve.

Top Bottom