If I was to buy a helmet cam ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
That looks interesting. Does that set up annoy you when doing shoulder checks? It looks like it would limit you field of vision.

It removes a tiny tiny piece of peripheral vision, but I haven't noticed it being an issue. I guess I could put it on the left arm.

paulw1969

Ridley rider
The dogcam is a good camera but you might want to look at something which suits your needs a bit better (mounting to the handlebars)

Would you say bar mounted cameras are generally better for commuting then Gaz? Not wanting to highjack this thread but I am in much the same position as the OP.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Would you say bar mounted cameras are generally better for commuting then Gaz? Not wanting to highjack this thread but I am in much the same position as the OP.
Depends what you want. If you don't wear a helmet or don't want to put anything on your helmet then a bar mounted one will work fine.
The only thing I would recommend is that if you choose to mount on the bike, make sure you get part of the bike in the picture, this makes it easier to judge how close things are.

paulw1969

Ridley rider
Depends what you want. If you don't wear a helmet or don't want to put anything on your helmet then a bar mounted one will work fine.
The only thing I would recommend is that if you choose to mount on the bike, make sure you get part of the bike in the picture, this makes it easier to judge how close things are.

Noted...going round in circles to be honest as either are an option......i think what will sway me more than anything is the choice of cameras and what they are capable of.....Contour because it is simple/self contained (but dont like in built battery) for instance....Sony AS15 because it is better in low light and my commute starts at 6.00am approx... but i dont like the fact of requiring the case.....i rather liked the idea of a helmet camera as it will show shoulder checks, hand signals etc but at the same time a more static view from the bars also has its attractions.....guess its a case of you makes your choices^_^

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
Getting back on track, here is my camera mounted to my glasses.

2013-07-26%2008.34.57.jpg

Some coppers are going to be doing similar if May gets her way.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
Could you not do it yourself if you wanted too?
Probably, but I'm not spending money on kit that wouldn't get replaced if damaged or lost... Now if somebody wanted to sponsor me!

Frood42

I know where my towel is
After some really, really poor driving, and not even on the commute I might add, I finally caved in and bought a Contour Roam 2 camera with handlebar mount.

Will be taking it to the London Free Ride tomorrow to record the nice traffic free route and grab some stills from it of the sights and exhibits/stands.

Arfcollins

Soft southerner.
I've had a bit of a good idea for those without helmets, or with handlebars crowded with lasers and airhorns as mine is. Strap the camera onto a finger. I'd probably use my middle finger as my hands are quite small, despite my otherwise manly build. A USB cable would then link to a tablet or one of those smartphones which could be attached with a bracket to the cross bar, a bit like my seat on my dad's bike in the, erm, 50's.

When the handlebars are gripped normally the camera will be facing forward and record the usually uneventful journey straight onto the device. Now the clever bit. If you spot a car driver using a mobile you only need to lift your hand and point your middle finger at him to catch it all on camera. This could even be done without turning your head and drawing his attention to the fact that you have spotted the misdemeanor. I'm sure you can easily imagine how one could surreptitiously raise the camera finger to record WVM's punishment pass when you have previously been pointing the finger behind you to video his impatient tailgating before the overtake. Having the tablet to glance down at will enable you to frame the picture correctly to ensure that angles and distances can easily be calclulated later for the police report.

It occurs to me too that having this arrangement would mean there would be no need to glue a mirror to the back of your glove. It would be the ultimate all-round viewing device, even to the extent of being able to choose between an extra-strong mint and a humbug in your back pocket when wearing your winter mitts.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I have been promised one as a combined birthday/Xtmas present by #1 daughter.
Did you get one in the end? I was on the wrong end of a Van this morning, wouldn't have minded a front and rear facing cam! :ohmy: Didn't get me off but threatened twice too, ending with the third one by nudging my rear wheel at 10mph. Someone got his details (didn't think to get his at the time) but it would be my word against his and he had a passenger who would no doubt give a statement in his favour.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Did you get one in the end? I was on the wrong end of a Van this morning, wouldn't have minded a front and rear facing cam! :ohmy: Didn't get me off but threatened twice too, ending with the third one by nudging my rear wheel at 10mph. Someone got his details (didn't think to get his at the time) but it would be my word against his and he had a passenger who would no doubt give a statement in his favour.
Not yet no. Cycling activites somewhat curtailed in recent weeks due to an apocalyptic bruised buttock

Twelve Spokes

Time to say goodbye again...
Slightly gutted I haven't bought the cam out here,but have done previous tours without watching the footage.or at least very little of it,but it's too much hassle faffing about with batteries,but will do if I tour China,next year.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
[QUOTE 2696645, member: 45"]Longboard?[/quote]
Yep. Wheelbite, on a heelside carve, due to bushings too soft for someone of my avoir dupois, at speed. Slams you to the deck where you land, inevitably, on your leading butt cheek. and then lie there softly moaning for a few minutes, followed by nine days of not being able to sit down or cycle. And I did it at least four times in a month until I figured out what was what.

Am now wearing padded snowboard shorts and have new bushes.

Top Bottom