If I was to buy a helmet cam ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leodis

Veteran
Just got Wiggle to price match the contour.... Holy hell I should just buy it but really am struggling to justify the cost against usage.

Twelve Spokes

Time to say goodbye again...
That was some pretty bad driving. The bus had loads of time to stop and the beeping of the horn just shows he had no intention of stopping.

Appropriate action sounds like bullshit.I'd prefer defensive driving training and not to drive like a halfwit..Perhaps it is that,who can tell?

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Is that one of these Hedcamz cameras?

How do you rate it? Can it be mounted on handlebars?

For the size it's good. Battery life is about 1h30, so you do need to keep it topped up. Fine as a commuting camera though.
It automatically overwrites the older files as the card gets full, so you don't need to remember to delete off the old files (I really with my Contour did this)
Picture quality is decent for the size. Check here for example:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN5RLTzFlZI

Not sure how it copes with low light yet.
It comes with various mounts, so you'll definitely be able to mount it to the bars.
I think (not 100% sure) that it's possible to charge it while it's recording, so if you were feeling technical you could hook up an external USB battery to boost the life.

Last edited:

Leodis

Veteran
Just ordered the Contour roam 2 (picked up the software from the Japanese site, well got it from someone who had and downloaded the zip). Wiggle price matched Halfrauds so should expect good service if things don't work out.

Frood42

I know where my towel is
Just ordered the Contour roam 2 (picked up the software from the Japanese site, well got it from someone who had and downloaded the zip). Wiggle price matched Halfrauds so should expect good service if things don't work out.

I got that one, doesn't see much use at the moment as the battery life is good for short commutes only, and the reasons for getting one have improved to the point where I do not feel I need it so much now.

I am currently cycling for 2.5hrs in the morning (and then in the evening it varies as I get used to the longer distances I am doing), and the camera battery lasts about 1.5hrs.

Kookas

Über Member
I got that one, doesn't see much use at the moment as the battery life is good for short commutes only, and the reasons for getting one have improved to the point where I do not feel I need it so much now.

I am currently cycling for 2.5hrs in the morning (and then in the evening it varies as I get used to the longer distances I am doing), and the camera battery lasts about 1.5hrs.

My Contour Roam 1 does if you run it at 60fps, turn the frame rate to 30 and it'll last for twice the time. I wouldn't have thought battery life would be worse on the newer model.

MrDampy

Regular
Interesting Post this one, as I will be checking out Head Cams as well, the Battery life is one important factor for me.

BSRU

A Human Being
Reports on the new GoPro 3+ indicate they have changed it to be sharper on objects closer to the camera and less sharp on things more than 4ft away, which is not good for someone using it as a helmet/bike camera.

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
Reports on the new GoPro 3+ indicate they have changed it to be sharper on objects closer to the camera and less sharp on things more than 4ft away, which is not good for someone using it as a helmet/bike camera.
I don't think it will matter soon. Go pro has been market leader for a while but one must remember they are a mounts based company. The pros are entering the market now. 3 years time I think go pro will be the new contour.

Top Bottom