If it wasn't for a helmet, I wouldn't be here right now.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montage

God Almighty
To all those who are considering weather to wear a helmet or not...

During a sprint today (was going uphill, around 30mph), I came off the bike .... I think I came down to the right, as the right hood was bent right in and heavily damaged and due to bad bruising on my right elbow, then I, along with my bike must have flipped over to the left, where the saddle + clothing was ripped. I hit my left shoulder pretty hard, and the top of my arse (yes, my arse is now covered with road rash....).... but my head was among the first things to contact the ground.. I hit the back of my head VERY hard and skidded on it for a while - and if it wasn't for my now destroyed helmet, I am 100% sure I would be in hospital now, or worse. So I encourage people to wear their helmets, whenever. And for those who do not wish to wear helmets, at least pipe down and restrict yourselves from persuading others not to wear them. Helmets save lives. Fact.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Sounds nasty - glad you're okay.

SD

You were racing so it was a good idea to wear a helmet. Most of us don't race and a lot of us assess the risk of cycling at 12/15mph and decide it's safe to do so without a helmet.

I for one would give up cycling if it became law to wear one. However, the Cyclemagic policy is to give people the facts and let them decide.

Hilldodger said:
You were racing so it was a good idea to wear a helmet. Most of us don't race and a lot of us assess the risk of cycling at 12/15mph and decide it's safe to do so without a helmet.

I for one would give up cycling if it became law to wear one. However, the Cyclemagic policy is to give people the facts and let them decide.

x2,
i only wear one when it's icy and have never told anyone not to wear a helmet.
glad you're ok, but with that much damage a check up at the hospital may be in order just to make sure.

barongreenback

Über Member
Hilldodger said:
I for one would give up cycling if it became law to wear one.

I'm new here but well aware of the ongoing debate. However, I have to ask: why? (this isn't meant to spark a massive fight, just genuinely interested why)

Glad you're ok montage - are you looking forward to shopping for a fancy new replacement? :becool:

barongreenback said:
I'm new here but well aware of the ongoing debate. However, I have to ask: why? (this isn't meant to spark a massive fight, just genuinely interested why)

Glad you're ok montage - are you looking forward to shopping for a fancy new replacement? :becool:

Because I don't see cycling as dangerous. If I was racing, then yes, but most people dont race.

Around 1000 people each year die after falling downstairs but who of us see that as dangerous?

barongreenback

Über Member
Sorry to be picky, but that doesn't explain why you would give up cycling i.e. would wearing a helmet completely spoil your enjoyment or is there some other aspect?

Yes, I'm not going to be told to wear a helmet because someone else decides it is dangerous for me to cycle. I run a cycling charity and cycle every day on a huge range of bikes and I don't think it is.

I do wear one on a motorbike and would even if it wasn't law because I know riding motorcycles is more dangerous and I have the injuries to show for it.

ASC1951

Guru
montage said:
During a sprint today (was going uphill, around 30mph), I came off the bike..
I'm not surprised. Sounds dangerous to me, does that.

If I was going to thrash my way round the roads like that, I would wear a helmet. I don't, so I don't. Nor do I lecture other people on whether they should wear one, so I don't expect them to lecture me. Fact.

barongreenback

Über Member
Hilldodger said:
Yes, I'm not going to be told to wear a helmet because someone else decides it is dangerous for me to cycle. I run a cycling charity and cycle every day on a huge range of bikes and I don't think it is.

I do wear one on a motorbike and would even if it wasn't law because I know riding motorcycles is more dangerous and I have the injuries to show for it.

Thanks. I find the whole issue of perception of risk quite interesting (my day job is financial risk).

I'm not sure that wearing a helmet makes cycling appear to be dangerous - as someone new to cycling I didn't view the activity as any particularly great risk to my health regardless of whether I saw someone wearing a helmet or not.

Toby_2009

Glad your alright mate, must have been quick a scary experience!

Glad to see that the helmet protected you! - I have the same one!

demonboylard

+ me too Toby, good to see them stress-tested :-) Glad you're ok Monty. I don't think I could ever reach 30 mph but I reckon I could crash at any speed and hopefully my helmet will protect me as well as yours did for you.

Top Bottom