If there's one word I hate....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
CycleChat is great, not only helping us gain vast knowledge of road craft and cycle repairs, but improving our typed and spoken language skills at the same time.^_^

Standing by for a Like from Shaun for this post:whistle:

If only it could tell us which words of wisdom are best absorbed and which are best discarded.:biggrin:
That don't deserve no likes at all.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Part of the nature of language is that young people almost invariably want to have their own 'language' - or more correctly, their own meanings to words. This distinguishes them from the 'older' generation, so they have their own 'club' as it were.
Back in the sixties (1960's in case anyone is wondering being sarky :thumbsdown:), words like 'groovy, cool, hip' etc came to be used by the teenage group (errr .. so people have told me :blush:), thus giving them a common sense of identity. It is the same these days - only it's 5-10 year olds as well :ohmy:. Hence 'sick' meaning really great etc.

Our irritation with words like sick etc just shows that we are getting older .... we are no longer the 'younger generation' :eek:

I haven't been part of the younger generation for quite a few years now ... :whistle:

Reactions: GBC

simon.r

Person
Whatever politicians use as their word or phrase of the moment.

'Let me be clear' seems to be the current favourite.

'Robust' was particularly overused a year or two ago.

ayceejay

Guru
Let me tell you being an ex pat in Canada, every sentence has that grating eh at the end of it. Not a question not an exclamation more like a tick.

"Right" and "OK" were my pet hates at school because our physics teacher was american...
we used to keep a score book of the three phrases (Right/OK/OK, Right) taking it in turns each class as to who kept the log... a double lesson would routinely see figure well into the 50's for at least one of the phrases.
We did eventually get caught keeping this log, (front bench & class swats) we got away with it. After that the teacher in question used to actually ask for the figures at the end of class as a joke.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
'Chillax' always has me shaking my head in dispair.
Also, I've noticed everyone seems to say 'my bad' these days - is it from a film or something? Wherever it's from I wish it would go back there as it sounds bloody stupid!

When people pronounce aitch as Haitch.
In HSBC I had to correct a member of staff (just could not stand it the third time she said it).
Her reply was that is must start with the letter "H" as it is the letter.
So I asked her why she did not then say "Sess" for the next letter in their name.
She looked at me as if I was from a different planet.

Arch

Married to Night Train
"I was walking along the road, right? And, you know when you get to the traffic lights, right? you get halfway across and you have to stop, yeah? and let the buggers on bikes go first before you get to the other side right?

It doesn't really matter though, right?

A colleague of mine says 'you know' that often, sometimes more often. But I think it's a sort of verbal tic, rather than any sort of affectation. Talking to him sometimes is like talking to someone with a stammer, you have to just be patient and wait for the important words to come. I can pretty much edit the 'you know' s out in my head now.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
The ones I dislike are "workshop" meaning a meeting, rather than a place with tools and machinery. A whiteboard and some pens do make a room into a workshop in my book.

And I also dislike "tactical" used to mean bad, or at least anti whatever the strategy is.
"Tactical" and "strategic" are matters of scale, not good versus bad opposites. You need good tactics and good strategy to get anywhere.

and another one "begging the question" which does not mean "that is the question" it means "assuming to be true what you are trying to prove or justify"

Top Bottom