If you could have one car...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I know this is a bicycling forum, but this is a question that has floated around the empty prairie of my mind since childhood.

The answer changes weekly, but the longest-serving would be: 1976 BMW 3.0si 4-door saloon

This chariot of dreams was the coolest thing in Gin & Jag areas of London alongside 450SEL 6.9s and Double Sixes and similar. Then, when I moved up into the inner suburbs of South West London, they were still knocking around in the hands of dealers and other members of the criminal community. Tired and abused, but still graceful, muscular and comfortable. Both incarnations struck me as deeply cool and desirable.

My spare only car would be a 1966 Peugeot 204 Cabriolet.

In case I needed four seats, my spare, spare only car would be a 1972 Wolseley Six. Only people who've never ridden in one hate them.

I'd need a stand-by only car too: 1966 Alfa Giulia TI Super. Discrete, stylish and rapid.

Apart from my only car, I'd keep a few A-Model Citroens (2cv, Ami 6, Ami Super, Dyane etc), because to exclude these would make no sense. They would have to be from good years and Paris-built.

Also, as it would be my only car, I'd have to have something stylish for nights out. That would be the much-overlooked Citroen Traction-Avant Coupe (faux cabriolet).

So... That would be my only car. What would yours be? You are allowed only one.

We've got £80K worth of Audi/BMW on our driveway but me and the wife both miss our Alfa 147 bought for £5K 2nd hand. It drove like a go kart!

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
The best car I ever had to drive was the Ford Puma, that thing went like shite off a hot shovel and went round corners like a thing that goes round corners very quickly...it was feckin uncomfortable on long journeys though.

My dream car changes between an E-type Jag and an Aston Martin DB5. Probably both crap to drive but are the very visible personification of perfection.

MarkF

Guru
Citroen SM:wub:. I'll wait for a prettier car pic........it may be some time.

Citroen+SM+side.jpg

matthat

Über Member
The best car I ever had to drive was the Ford Puma, that thing went like s***e off a hot shovel and went round corners like a thing that goes round corners very quickly...it was feckin uncomfortable on long journeys though.

My dream car changes between an E-type Jag and an Aston Martin DB5. Probably both crap to drive but are the very visible personification of perfection.
My mates got a ltd edition racing puma and I agree about em going like pooh off a shovel!! I've driven It a few times and on the motorways it's just wants to go faster!!

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
The best car I ever had to drive was the Ford Puma, that thing went like s***e off a hot shovel and went round corners like a thing that goes round corners very quickly...it was feckin uncomfortable on long journeys though.

The DB7 is a woolly car to drive. Steering is vague and the auto delivers the power through a duvet. Very smooth experience but you are isolated from tactile feedback.

I did not feel any sense of loss when I handed it back to my brother and I climbed into my Nissan Micra.

tyred

Legendary Member
I wouldn't mind a Catheram 7 but not sure where I'd put my bike. I'd need a Citroen H-Van for that. I'd also hold on to my Pug 205. Could also use a MK1 Golf. And I need a Renault 4. And a Citroen 2CV. A Fiat 500. A Fiat 127. An Early Fiat Cinquento. An early pug 106 XSI. A MKIV Cortina as I learned to drive in one. A Triumph Herald Convertible. An Austin 1300GT. I could also use a VW Beetle. The list is almost endless.

I love cars, but have never been excited by large luxury saloons or supercars than most car fanatics like.

Davidc

Guru
Citroen DS.

1970 or 1971. Those late versions (but not the very last ones from 72 and 73) were the best.

If I couldn't have one of those then a MG A would have to do.

OP
OP
Boris Bajic

Boris Bajic

I wouldn't mind a Catheram 7 but not sure where I'd put my bike. I'd need a Citroen H-Van for that. I'd also hold on to my Pug 205. Could also use a MK1 Golf. And I need a Renault 4. And a Citroen 2CV. A Fiat 500. A Fiat 127. An Early Fiat Cinquento. An early pug 106 XSI. A MKIV Cortina as I learned to drive in one. A Triumph Herald Convertible. An Austin 1300GT. I could also use a VW Beetle. The list is almost endless.

I love cars, but have never been excited by large luxury saloons or supercars than most car fanatics like.

Everybody needs a Renault 4. On that basis, like the 2cv it doesn't count as a part of your list. The Beetle (I just checked the rules) is banned. It doesn't say why, but you're not allowed a VW Beetle or a Talbot Tagora.

We can, however, allow the Austin 1300 GT as a spare (or a spare spare) , although I think it the slightly common and flashy cousin in the family. Vinyl C-pillars are just too much. Although the rumour is that it would have been the Austin 1300 Cooper if commission negotiations had worked, I still think it slightly naff in the form it was produced in. I'd prefer to limit you to a 1968 MG 1300 two-door in a muted shade of pale blue or grey. That seems closer to the ADO16 philosophy than the socially ambitious Austin.

Otherwise your extensive list of one car is fine, although the Cortina is a mistake.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I've got it: my Saab 9-3 Aero convertible in Lime Yellow.

Yes, my standards and ambitions are low - but in 2004 when I said that one day I'd buy one were achieved when I bought it in 2009. Still just as happy now 4 years and 40000 miles later. That's despite most days when it sits on the drive since I use my bike.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
My spare only car would be a 1966 Peugeot 204 Cabriolet.

I had one of those. For about a month. First trip outside London I took it on, the engine completely seized up half way between London and Oxford, and that was that. It never ran again. Sad, because it was a lovely car.

As to the OP, the car I love above all others is - yeah, bo-ring - an E-type. But I'd never own one, because I'd hate to drive such an out & out 'look at me!' car. That wee Alfa Spider Dustin Hoffman drove in the Graduate would probably do it for me - great fun, classy, and not too show-offy.

donnydave

Über Member
mmm good call on the BMW. The newer ones don't do much for me but a 1972 3.0 CSL homologation model would do me fine. Or a 200ti.

In fact now I come to think about it there's hardly anything at all built in the last 15 years that really like, apart from probably the Nissan GTR, but only because I was (and still am) fond of Skylines throughout the 90's.

I'm actually having this very car selection dilemma at the moment. Our current day-to-day car is heading towards the end of its life and its starting to become uneconomical to maintain and will need replacing soon. It's replacement needs to serve a variety of functions so I'm leaning towards some sort of estate. Other requirements are that it is vaguely interesting/fairly rare and reasonably fast. I can hardly believe what you can get for your money in the realm of fast stuff say 10-15 years old, no one wants to pay to run them so most likely replacement is a Volvo 850R (the mental square estate). 250bhp and they are going for £1.5 to £3k for less than 100,000 miles, mid/late 90's.

There's only one car that fits the requirements better than the Volvo so my answer to "one car, what would it be?" would be an original (B5) Audi RS4 2000/2001 but they are currently going for £10k ish which is a bit much.

This is different to a lottery win "what car" question. I have made my selection based on my current lifestyle and vehicular requirements.

tyred

Legendary Member
Everybody needs a Renault 4. On that basis, like the 2cv it doesn't count as a part of your list. The Beetle (I just checked the rules) is banned. It doesn't say why, but you're not allowed a VW Beetle or a Talbot Tagora.

We can, however, allow the Austin 1300 GT as a spare (or a spare spare) , although I think it the slightly common and flashy cousin in the family. Vinyl C-pillars are just too much. Although the rumour is that it would have been the Austin 1300 Cooper if commission negotiations had worked, I still think it slightly naff in the form it was produced in. I'd prefer to limit you to a 1968 MG 1300 two-door in a muted shade of pale blue or grey. That seems closer to the ADO16 philosophy than the socially ambitious Austin.

Otherwise your extensive list of one car is fine, although the Cortina is a mistake.

My dream car:smooch:

talbot-tagora-08.gif

Top Bottom