If you could have one car...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
My (company) Passat estate. Spacious, fast, comfortable, economical, modest, takes 3 bikes + 3 people easily and 4+4 at a squeeze.

Brains

Legendary Member
I loved my 1984 Lamdrover Series III SWB, it took the word 'basic' to new lows, it went anywhere( slowly) and could carry anything anywhere.

tyred

Legendary Member
Everybody needs a Renault 4. On that basis, like the 2cv it doesn't count as a part of your list. The Beetle (I just checked the rules) is banned. It doesn't say why, but you're not allowed a VW Beetle or a Talbot Tagora.

We can, however, allow the Austin 1300 GT as a spare (or a spare spare) , although I think it the slightly common and flashy cousin in the family. Vinyl C-pillars are just too much. Although the rumour is that it would have been the Austin 1300 Cooper if commission negotiations had worked, I still think it slightly naff in the form it was produced in. I'd prefer to limit you to a 1968 MG 1300 two-door in a muted shade of pale blue or grey. That seems closer to the ADO16 philosophy than the socially ambitious Austin.

Otherwise your extensive list of one car is fine, although the Cortina is a mistake.

If I can't have the Beetle, I'll have it's big cousin, the Porsche 911. Oh, I don't want just any Cortina, it'll have to be a 2.0 Ghia with fake wood trim, leopard skin seat covers, furry dice and vinyl roof.

Night Train

Maker of Things
If it was a purely fun car then a 1920's Bentley Speed Six, or a Morgan +8.

If it was a one and only, had to do everything, never to be replaced, day to day car then I would probably have (and convert to electric) a Skoda Superb estate 4x4, or a Land Rover 130 crew cab.

Herr-B

The car I've lusted after most since the late '90s is a Mitsubishi Legnum VR4 - basically a Galant estate with a twin-turbo V4 engine. It has the meanest looking front of any production estate car I know. One day I'll have one. :ohmy:

Maz

Guru
I would go for the new shape Honda Civic. You just know from the shape that if it were a Matchbox model it would be really chunky and would glide on the lino floor for aaaaaaaaages and it would beat the other matchbox cars easy.

honda-civic-ti-1.jpg

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
1957_chevrolet_bel_air_m.jpg

If it was a purely fun car then a 1920's Bentley Speed Six, or a Morgan +8.

If it was a one and only, had to do everything, never to be replaced, day to day car then I would probably have (and convert to electric) a Skoda Superb estate 4x4, or a Land Rover 130 crew cab.

Got to admit, as a normal car, instead of my desired Range Rover, a Superb (or Octavia) 4x4 estate 'ticks just about every box'
It'd have to be fitted with the 140BHP Tdi (or the 170BHP) & 6-speed gearbox

I don't want the Scout though - even though I know they handle very well; as evidence by the various Ambulance Services using them.
If they kept falling off the road, they'd not use them (all the Paramedics that I know, via work, love them)

The best car I ever had to drive was the Ford Puma, that thing went like s***e off a hot shovel and went round corners like a thing that goes round corners very quickly...it was feckin uncomfortable on long journeys though.

Tiff liked it on Top Gear a few years ago^_^

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3QuH7z1Z1o

byegad

Legendary Member
Fiat 126.

I've never had so much fun so cheaply.

LOL. I had two at various times and while as slow as a slow thing in a straight line,cornering was on rails. I used to frighten my brother-in-law to death taking small roundabouts without lifting the throttle.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I am a bit of a car fanatic. I have never owned one yet but I know what I would like.
My first car would have to be a Citreon DS3 Racing:
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSDVQd6qou7ecflIbLnZeNX1jftAMbZsxzIO5Jqs7eDxSWjODDS5w.jpg

Followed by a Jaguar XJ 75 Platinum Concept:
Jaguar-XJL.jpg

Or a Vauxhall VXR8 Bathurst S:
Vauxhall-VXR8-Bath_1471698c.jpg

And the weekend car that I would have would be an Aerial Atom 500 V8:
arielatomv8%201.jpg

Top Bottom