If you could move anywhere in UK where would you move too?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Squamish , Canada and get out of this sinking ship. I can't afford it so not happening in a hurry.

Alex321

Veteran
I rather like where I live now in South Wales. I'm really not sure there is anywhere in the UK I would rather live.

Close enough to Cardiff or Swansea when we want city things, but still pretty rural (my wife would prefer more rural still), only a few minutes from the sea by car if we want a beach, or half an hour to the Brecon Beacons.

There are individual things which might be better in other areas of the UK, but nowhere that I feel is better all round.

Drago

Legendary Member
I can see you point
I used to drive home from work (Rhyl to Bangor/Llandudno) thinking that tourists need to be banned from the outside lane of the A55 (especially caravans and camper vans - of course)

and that is North Wales - the SW must be far worse for people who work there and want to get home after a hard day!!!

My Dad's side of the family is cornish, my Grandad even spoke the lingo. When I go down to visit - on the overnight sleeper with my folder - that side of family I always chuckle when I see that the locals that do the moaning about the emmets usually drive and park just as badly as the tourists do.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I rather like where I live now in South Wales. I'm really not sure there is anywhere in the UK I would rather live.

Close enough to Cardiff or Swansea when we want city things, but still pretty rural (my wife would prefer more rural still), only a few minutes from the sea by car if we want a beach, or half an hour to the Brecon Beacons.

There are individual things which might be better in other areas of the UK, but nowhere that I feel is better all round.

Sounds like you want my house :laugh:

Alex321

Veteran

I also have a job I enjoy, with an office close enough to be commutable by bike (15 miles each way)

Discounting North Yorkshire (Pickering/Kirkby Moorside/Malton), I'd say Northumberland
Felton is a nice little village that has a good atmosphere (about halfway between Morpeth & Alnwick)

Or, Cumbria, maybe Keswick area/Mungrisdale/Troutbeck (on A66, not the one near Ambleside)

A bigger house in my village. Not telling you where. I don't want everyone to know where the perfect place to live is.

You know a nice is right when a few weeks after moving in you're walking the dog and it just feels like home the place you live, the village, the house, the road. Everything just fits!

So where can you move to of you're in the best place? A nicer, bigger or overall better house that's all.

PS sorry if this counts as being smug or gloating about being in the best place. I can't help the truth!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
We live in west London in the house we bought 35 years ago. We know most of our neighbours. A lot of our friends live in London too, and it's no trouble to get to see them. It's easy to get on a motorway to the South, West or North. I have no desire to go East......the North Sea coast isn't my cup of tea. Aldeburgh and Southwold are my idea of Hell.
The one place I'm tempted by is Herefordshire. Fantastic countryside, friendly people, and lots of space. We saw a rural house for sale that had a 12m x 12m metal barn with a concrete floor. Pure heaven. I don't think I'll find one of those in Shepherds Bush.

I would move here , oh I already did it 2 years ago ! I used to live in Dudley and got fed up with people wanting to kill each other at the slightest thing Now I live in a Shropshire village and the people are just fantastic. I had thought about Cornwall but having done this before I realized tourist season was a nightmare and the locals are not keen on outsiders, Then I thought about Whitby but there is an extreme lack of work ( Cornwall not much better)

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
I’m nearly 52. And retire at 57 latest.

Currently live in Lowestoft - which is classed as a deprived area and often gets a ‘bad’ reputation. But I love it - and think anything in life is what you make of it….

However - what you can’t make in this Country is the Climate. And often simple pleasures like coffee outside at breakfast are impossible…..

So we’ll be downsizing, lobbing the excess in the pension fund and moving somewhere warmer soon as. Yes I have dreams of where that might be, but anywhere in Europe with a past history of above average sunshine hours will do if I’m honest. Alicante / Murcia in Spain most likely: for ease of travel back here / family coming over, climate, lifestyle and pace of life…..

presta

Guru
I used to daydream about living in the Lake District, but not seriously. I like going to a variety of places and I think it would quickly become like having strawberries & cream for three meals a day every day. I wouldn't want to be away from amenities or reliant on a car either. Lakeland feels special because I can't be there any time I want.

When I was contemplating having to move for health reasons about 8 years ago I wondered about combining that with a move elsewhere, but when the need evaporated, so did the motivation.

Top Bottom