If you could move anywhere in UK where would you move too?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I’m nearly 52. And retire at 57 latest.

Currently live in Lowestoft - which is classed as a deprived area and often gets a ‘bad’ reputation. But I love it - and think anything in life is what you make of it….

However - what you can’t make in this Country is the Climate. And often simple pleasures like coffee outside at breakfast are impossible…..

So we’ll be downsizing, lobbing the excess in the pension fund and moving somewhere warmer soon as. Yes I have dreams of where that might be, but anywhere in Europe with a past history of above average sunshine hours will do if I’m honest. Alicante / Murcia in Spain most likely: for ease of travel back here / family coming over, climate, lifestyle and pace of life…..

Do you have a European passport? That’s much less easy than it used to be if you don’t…

Reactions: C R

Slick

Guru
I've been a bit of an enigma in my life, as a young gun I followed the bright lights to the smoke to seek fame and fortune, but soon discovered that it wasn't for me, and ended up moving a measly 70 miles away at aged 19 and staying there for the next 25 years. I then went through quite a radical evolution that included a new job in and around Glasgow, where I rented a small flat for a while but eventually bought a cracking wee place in Dumbarton, which gets a very bad rap, as I reckon it remains my favourite place to live, although I also reckon that was more to do with the people I met, who were all top class. I've since moved a further 4 times since then, for various reasons, but we are now settled in a cracking place looking straight out to sea, which Mrs Slick missed hugely when we were on our travels. The house we are now in is far too big for our needs, but it does form part of our overall pension strategy, so we will look to downsize eventually and maybe move back to our old home town. That's the plan, but as its a few years away yet, anything can happen.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I don’t really want to leave Mull where I have lived since 1972 but I feel now I am being driven out by the totally selfish tourist industry.
The village of Benderloch just north of Oban appeals to me as it has a good bus service into Oban and more important has good cycling infrastructure.
Ideally I would like a foot in both areas but I think holiday houses are antisocial so that is not really a possibility as that in effect is what one of them would turn out to be.
I do have family in that area and know it fairly well but could not realistically live in somebody else's house so it looks like I am stuck.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I've been a bit of an enigma in my life, as a young gun I followed the bright lights to the smoke to seek fame and fortune, but soon discovered that it wasn't for me, and ended up moving a measly 70 miles away at aged 19 and staying there for the next 25 years. I then went through quite a radical evolution that included a new job in and around Glasgow, where I rented a small flat for a while but eventually bought a cracking wee place in Dumbarton, which gets a very bad rap, as I reckon it remains my favourite place to live, although I also reckon that was more to do with the people I met, who were all top class. I've since moved a further 4 times since then, for various reasons, but we are now settled in a cracking place looking straight out to sea, which Mrs Slick missed hugely when we were on our travels. The house we are now in is far too big for our needs, but it does form part of our overall pension strategy, so we will look to downsize eventually and maybe move back to our old home town. That's the plan, but as its a few years away yet, anything can happen.

I lived in Helensburgh, Cardross and Bowling so had lots of connection with Dumbarton which I thought seemed an ok place to live.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I like it here in West Yorkshire, and have Lancashire, North Yorkshire, Derbyshire and Cheshire not far away, and the Lake District only a bit further.

I have the advantage of having a sister in Devon with a spare room. A spare bike of mine is left down there so I am currently spending about 10% of my time in the SW and might increase that percentage.

So... I would probably stay put here for 9 months of the year.

What I would like to do though is to get away from UK winters so I would be tempted to clear off to somewhere like the Costa Blanca for the permitted 90 consecutive days, say Jan/Feb/Mar.

If I returned to the UK I'd aim for south or mid Scotland, or possibly mid Wales.

Not likely though; I've lived my adult life here and I'm now in one of the most beautiful and bike friendly places anywhere. This is perhaps fortunate as Beautiful Wife wouldn't get a visa for the UK anyway.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
My post retirement plan is N Yorkshire (I'm a city girl ultimately so a town like Harrogate with easy access to countryside but also to friends in the London area), and somewhere else warm (overseas) for winter!
I don't have any desire to live by the sea, never have, fine for a holiday but not day in day out

I can't see myself in London in 15 years time (actual timescale depends on elderly parents who live a few miles away and need support). Once they're gone :sad: , I'll have no ties to anywhere in particular

Harrogate has really gone downhill. My friend went last week with her daughter and said it was filthy, there was loads of rubbish piled up everywhere, it was also unkempt generally and she thought it was rough and tatty. Theres also a lot of deprivation in Harrogate which doesnt appear to get mentioned either for some reason?
Its not like it used to be. Theres better places like Ben Rhydding and Ilkley. York is also better than Harrogate, more to do etc.

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
If I returned to the UK I'd aim for south or mid Scotland, or possibly mid Wales.

Not likely though; I've lived my adult life here and I'm now in one of the most beautiful and bike friendly places anywhere. This is perhaps fortunate as Beautiful Wife wouldn't get a visa for the UK anyway.

I thought marriage would mean she absolutely would?

I've probably watched far too many American movies for my own good.

Somewhere where I can forget all of my crappy past, worries and my life generally, which is nowhere, because you can run, but you can't hide.

I could move to the Moon and still be plagued by my problems. 🙄

There must be somewhere that tickles ya fancy? Away from it all, some clear head space? Its a good country for that.

stephec

Legendary Member
Another one for Cumbria here, we've always liked Keswick but that was as tourists. I stayed there for work near easter and it was heaving, and I'm not sure id want to be on the receiving end of it, plus I was informed that even an ex council semi detached will currently set me back half a million.

Top Bottom