If you could move anywhere in UK where would you move too?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
A few years ago we considered moving to Rostrevor in Northern Ireland. Beautiful coastline, mountains, lakes, friendly.

NI has a lot to offer, just look at @tyred's photos.

It does - SWMBO's parents have lived in Rostrevor since the early 1980's. It's a nice large village. I lived in Portstewart as a student, before it got built to the size it is now.

I'd go back to Northern Ireland if SWMBO could find work, which was primarily why we left.

Last edited:

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
Sorry but that sounds

Sorry I find this a highly amusing thought, that somebody would move to such a beautiful part of the country & then want to live in a town, that would be my worst nightmare
You've lost me there. I said I like it but wouldn't want to move there for that reason. It's nice for a holiday but I like things to hand, relatively anyway. I've lived in the middle of a big city until we moved into a country village 8 years ago. We miss the convenience but not the hassle and pace of life in a city. When we move again, it will probably be into a small town with some basic facilities but still quiet.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

You've lost me there. I said I like it but wouldn't want to move there for that reason. It's nice for a holiday but I like things to hand, relatively anyway. I've lived in the middle of a big city until we moved into a country village 8 years ago. We miss the convenience but not the hassle and pace of life in a city. When we move again, it will probably be into a small town with some basic facilities but still quiet.
It just amused me that you would want to move out into the countryside to live in a town, bearing in mind I have no idea where you currently live, sorry if you took offence it wasn't intended,

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It just amused me that you would want to move out into the countryside to live in a town, bearing in mind I have no idea where you currently live, sorry if you took offence it wasn't intended,
I understand completely. I lived in Salford as a student but city life was not really for me. After graduation, I moved to Hebden Bridge, which is a small town out in the countryside. There are shops, a cinema etc. but that countryside is only minutes away on foot or by bike - best of both worlds. Like Keswick though, it can get overrun at times by visitors.

Todmorden is not as pretty, but is still adjacent to lots of attractive countryside.

Both have excellent rail links to Manchester, Leeds and beyond.

My niece has moved to Exmouth. It is a sizeable town but it is easy to get in and out of it without a car and it has a fantastic beach.

Although not really a city person, I do rather like Exeter. If I had to live in an English city, that would be high on my list.

North Worcestershire to North Devon 18 years ago, then moved to West Somerset in March this year. Beautiful and accessible part of the country.
Beautiful, yes, but not that accessible to me unless I bought a Brompton since I don't drive and the only rail connection to much of it is the West Somerset heritage railway which is a sporadic service which doesn't run at all for months of the year. I would be using my bus pass a lot if I lived in that area, and hoping that rural bus services kept running.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Spain would be my choice, don't think it will ever happen, i am to content where i am. friends ,family, pubs hospital, doctors. Its all within walking distance. Just missing the sun.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Midlands boy born and bred, but got my dream move 17 years ago, from lovely South Warwickshire to even more lovely West Somerset, overlooking both the sea and Exmoor, absolutely love it. Could never live away from the sea again.

Hello neighbours Dirk and All Uphill.
Whereabouts are you?

I understand completely. I lived in Salford as a student but city life was not really for me. After graduation, I moved to Hebden Bridge, which is a small town out in the countryside. There are shops, a cinema etc. but that countryside is only minutes away on foot or by bike - best of both worlds. Like Keswick though, it can get overrun at times by visitors.

Todmorden is not as pretty, but is still adjacent to lots of attractive countryside.

Both have excellent rail links to Manchester, Leeds and beyond.

My niece has moved to Exmouth. It is a sizeable town but it is easy to get in and out of it without a car and it has a fantastic beach.

Although not really a city person, I do rather like Exeter. If I had to live in an English city, that would be high on my list.

Beautiful, yes, but not that accessible to me unless I bought a Brompton since I don't drive and the only rail connection to much of it is the West Somerset heritage railway which is a sporadic service which doesn't run at all for months of the year. I would be using my bus pass a lot if I lived in that area, and hoping that rural bus services kept running.

I'd give a fellow Coventry kid a lift if needed fella, I live within 100 metres of one of the heritage railway stations, it's a fantastic place to live :-)

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Similar to Charlie 3 being Defender of the Faith, I am Defender of the Lake District.

It really isn’t busy every weekend and every town is not perma-rammed.

In fact much of the time it is very quiet - which is nice.

It gets busier every year from Easter to about mid-September and only seriously busy when it is a BH week.

Most of the year it is a breeze to get around and November to February it feels almost deserted.

OldShep

Über Member
It does - SWMBO's parents have lived in Rostrevor since the early 1980's. It's a nice large village. I lived in Portstewart as a student, before it got built to the size it is now.

I'd go back to Northern Ireland if SWMBO could find work, which was primarily why we left.

My only experience of NI ,a cycle trip, in the flag season.
I found the experience very disturbing. Do you get hardened to it when living there?

Top Bottom