If you had the freedom to tour for a month anywhere in the world - where would you go?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shaun

Founder
If you could leave the job, family, responsibilities, etc. behind for a month and go cycle touring anywhere in the world - where would you go, and why?

ScotiaLass

Guru
Canada.
The last time I was there (2010) I visited the Rocky mountains but didn't have a bike.
I would love to cycle some of the trails there, or at least try!

Edited to add that I wasn't in the best shape health wise, so I'd love to give it a go now!

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Canada or America. Where exacly depends on the time of year. Early then America in the south, summer then Canada, close to the border with America, or America near the rockies, yellow stone national park.. or maybe new England

Paul99

Über Member
Canada.
The last time I was there (2010) I visited the Rocky mountains but didn't have a bike.
I would love to cycle some of the trails there, or at least try!

Edited to add that I wasn't in the best shape health wise, so I'd love to give it a go now!
^^^^^^This.

I also went to the Canadian Rockies without a bike, but will deffo go back one day with a roadie and a mtb.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I am not that interested in going to obscure places, and with my gammy leg I really don't fancy long flights so spectacular european cycling would do me - big mountains in the Alps, Pyrenees and Dolomites would be high up on my list, with whatever nice valleys, plains etc. I needed to cross to get between them.

TBH, there is enough great cycling in the UK that it would take years to do it all so I would like to spend years trying.

The biggest concern would be the weather. I want to cycle in nice warm, sunny conditions, with just cooling breezes. 18-25 degrees C is fine by me.

So ... I would like flexibility in when I took that month, and do it when I spotted a stable period of good weather to ride in.

Bodhbh

Guru
Iceland I think. I may not get on with the weather, and may deal with the remoteness rather less well than I think I will - but you dunno till you try. If I got laid off tomorrow with a healthy payoff, it'd be where I'd be heading anyhow.

ScotiaLass

Guru
I am not that interested in going to obscure places, and with my gammy leg I really don't fancy long flights so spectacular european cycling would do me - big mountains in the Alps, Pyrenees and Dolomites would be high up on my list, with whatever nice valleys, plains etc. I needed to cross to get between them.

TBH, there is enough great cycling in the UK that it would take years to do it all so I would like to spend years trying.

The biggest concern would be the weather. I want to cycle in nice warm, sunny conditions, with just cooling breezes. 18-25 degrees C is fine by me.

So ... I would like flexibility in when I took that month, and do it when I spotted a stable period of good weather to ride in.
Although Canada would be my ideal place, I do love the Highlands, and for the first time, will be taking my MTB with me on holiday in June. To say I am :hyper:is an understatement! I have so much beautiful scenery on my doorstep!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Although Canada would be my ideal place, I do love the Highlands, and for the first time, will be taking my MTB with me on holiday in June. To say I am :hyper:is an understatement! I have so much beautiful scenery on my doorstep!
Indeed. I am genetically a half-Highlander! My mum was born near Oban and her side of the family still live up there. I am going up to visit them with my sisters in the autumn and will either take one of my bikes or borrow one from a second cousin.

ScotiaLass

Guru
Indeed. I am genetically a half-Highlander! My mum was born near Oban and her side of the family still live up there. I am going up to visit them with my sisters in the autumn and will either take one of my bikes or borrow one from a second cousin.
We are having our third trip to Morayshire, staying in Nairn. My son has autism and it's his holiday (paid for by a charity), so he gets to choose basically! He loves it up there - we stay in a luxury caravan right next to the sand dunes (he loves the beach!) and he loves visiting all the Historic Scotland properties up there, and dolphin watching and.....you get the idea! :smile:
If the truth be known, we love it too!

ScotiaLass

Guru
My comment about the weather particularly applies to the Highlands!

I remember spending one glorious summer up there as a child when we had blue skies every day. :sun:

One miserable year, it poured every day for 6 weeks! :rain:
Yes, it's hit and miss! We just find other things to do - the indoor pool, museums and properties etc, but I'd rather be on my bike :smile:

Brandane

Legendary Member
Cuba.
Good weather, scenery, and have read a lot of praise for the Cuban people and culture.
I spent 7 years of my formative years in nearby Jamaica which is stunning, and would be top of my list, were it not for the maniac drivers and very poor road surfaces. It has one of the highest road death rates on the planet, which is a real shame. Some of the locals can be a touch hostile to visitors, too; putting it mildly!

Top Bottom