If you had to chose one job on the bike that you hate.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

green1

Über Member
Cleaning handlebars after removing bartape can be a real pain. Once I removed my handlebars from my steel bike to sell and I wanted to send them looking as new. I spent 20 minutes cleaning them and making little progress. A change of tactics was required so out came the gasket remover and after 15 minutes wait with the aid of some wire wool it took a couple of minutes for a shiny clean.
White spirit

tyred

Legendary Member
Anything to do with cantilever-brakes. They're the invention of the devil:evil:

Thankfully I only have one bike with them.

yello

Riding the sodding thing... hateful pastime. :dance:

Swine! I was going to say the same thing. Particularly at this time of the year, riding can be a dreadful chore! Giving me mechanicing any day; inside, warm and dry with the radio on....

There's no job that I hate as such though obviously some are more pleasurable than others. I've not had a problem with brake blocks though I think Danb may have it there and it depends on the brakes. I take a pleasure in pretty much everything I do, even though it might be frustrating on occasions!.

I'm not a fan of cleaning my bikes though, never have been. The chain gets looked after, and gear shifting generally, but as for the rest of it... nah, better things to do. My club mates have commented on the state of my bikes!

RiflemanSmith

Cleaning only because I live in a flat and clean my bike in the front room, so I spend just as long cleaning up afterwards:angry:
Our bikes are all discs brakes so have never needed any adjustment.

02GF74

Über Member
bleeding hydraulic brakes that require syringes.

avalon

Guru
That is my pet hate as well. You beat me to it.
The '''Lazy persons theory on chain cleaning" is "don't". All that solvent and brushing washes fine particles of grit into the rollers causing it to wear quicker than a dirty chain. Most of the dirt sits on the outside doing no harm and if only the rollers are oiled on the inside as the chain is rotated, no dirt gets washed into it. It works for me, I wear out a lot of other components before I need to replace a chain.

Top Bottom