if you have mudguards.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

betty swollocks

large member
please get breakaway clips on the front.
These enable the stays to easily detach, should a twig or anything else get caught in there, which causes the front wheel to stop.
My friend, did not have breakaway clips. Something got caught up, the front mudguard folded up under the fork crown causing the wheel to jam. It brought him to a sudden halt and he flew over his handlebars in the direction of travel. He landed awkwardly and heavily and broke his neck.
He died eight days later.
He had four daughters.

Get breakaway clips.
Please.

Last edited:

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Blimey. That's very sad. Sorry for your loss and for his family. :sad:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Can anyone provide a link. Using 'breakaway' on Ebay they are only selling them in the USA.
It's the black plastic things shown here. They will snap and break away if something gets trapped.

SKS-Chromoplastic-Road-Mudguard-Set-Bike-Mudguards-White-NotSet.jpg

alicat

Legendary Member
Thank you for the reminder, @betty swollocks. I am so sorry for the family's and your loss.

This did happen to me. I was riding offroad and chatting and not paying enough attention. I came off and broke the mudguard and injured my pride. I thought I didn't need clips because I had had the stay thingie moved higher. But I did.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Thanks for posting Betty, its something you may not normally even consider.

jay clock

Massive member
Sad. I thought all modern mudguards had these as standard.. I saw a guy on an old bike get a drinks can jammed under his about 15 years ago and he landed on his face..

D

Deleted member 1258

Sad. I thought all modern mudguards had these as standard.. I saw a guy on an old bike get a drinks can jammed under his about 15 years ago and he landed on his face..

Up untill a few years ago I had one bike with clips and one bike without, it was the bike without that I fell off. I'm a short arse and always have toe overlap, about four years ago I was trickling at walking pace in heavy traffic, got my toe tangled up in the mudguard and went down in a heap, fortunately the only damage was a skinned knee and elbow.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Very tragic and you have my condolences.

On a ride I was on, just 1km from the Arrivée, the guy in front (no mudguards) sucked up a stick which jammed between the wheel and fork crown. Almost identical crash by the sounds of it but fortune was on his side that day and he escaped with minor head injuries. Anything can happen.

Top Bottom