If you lock your bike, be sure you have a key

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robjh

Legendary Member
I locked my bike to a post in remotest quietest rural Lincolnshire while I went up the footpath to see the (disappointing) coastal view. The penny soon dropped that I'd left the key at home. 70 miles away.
Very luckily for me the post wasn't that high, and the lock not through the wheel, so i managed to lift it free (pic 1) and wrap the lock behind the saddle and out of the way (pic 2). A lucky escape indeed.
Don't do like me, kids, take your keys with you
DSC_0366.JPG
DSC_0367.JPG

Saluki

World class procrastinator
If it's a lock with a key you are after, there is a lock, with both keys in it, around a nice old Trek in Wadebridge town centre at the bike racks. Been there for about 4 days now.

Boy were you lucky with a shortish post there!

I was at the supermarket a few weeks ago, unlocked my bike to go home then remember one more thing so locked again. When I came back to my bike, I couldn't find my keys. Retraced my steps, asked at the help desk. No luck. Spare key at home, but house keys missing with lock key. Finally I looked in top tube bag where I put my keys when cycling. Yup. There they were. Muscle memory kicked in, and I did what I always do when unlocking. Nothing bad happened,but it was just luck.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
You need one of those things people use to keep keys together. They're a sort of ring onto which you feed keys, so that you've always got your bike lock with your house key.

If only I could remember what they're called.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Did you get any funny looks as you stole your own bike?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
If it's a lock with a key you are after, there is a lock, with both keys in it, around a nice old Trek in Wadebridge town centre at the bike racks. Been there for about 4 days now.

Boy were you lucky with a shortish post there!
I need a new lock , put mine on the ground while i was changing wheels and bent the key , when i turned it the key has snapped in the lock :cursing:

Top Bottom