If you lock your bike, be sure you have a key

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Use a D lock, you need the key to open it in order to apply it to the bike, if you don't have your keys you can't lock your bike up. Otherwise, always store your lock in the locked position, then you'll find out about forgotten keys before locking the bike up.

Hugs
Archeress x

Ahhh but some of us are stupid enough to effortlessly work around this kind of logic.
As posted a couple of weeks ago this is how I left my bike for 90 mins while I enjoyed a carefree breakfast.
DSC_0034.JPG

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Twice I have parked my car at the shops with the roof off (ragtop Landrover) and gone shopping while leaving the keys hung in the ignition, not in respectable areas either! Both times I came back to find everything just where I left it..... phew!

Those old Landrovers are a bugger to start.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I did an audax a couple of years ago and happened to be riding with another participant when we got to the café. I had a combination lock so I offered to lock our bikes together and he accepted.

When I got inside I realised I couldn't remember the combination. The more I thought about it, the more certain I was I couldn't remember. I had visions of having to find some boltcutters to separate the bikes so the other participant could get on his way. Or worse we both have to pack and somehow sort them out later

Went back outside and I said "I'll just unlock the bikes".....gulp....tried to completely clear my mind of numbers....click, click, click, click.......bingo

Globalti

Legendary Member
To some of us a bicycle is - amongst other things - a mode of transport.

Weird, I know.

I don't understand your point - are you being sarcastic of just pointing out the obvious? The bike is indeed a mode of transport and it costs a lot of money so I don't want some scumbag to deprive me of it then sell it for drug money to a fence who will stick it in a container and ship it to eastern Europe. That's why it's either locked inside my alarmed house or under my bum or in my sight.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I don't understand your point - are you being sarcastic of just pointing out the obvious? The bike is indeed a mode of transport and it costs a lot of money so I don't want some scumbag to deprive me of it then sell it for drug money to a fence who will stick it in a container and ship it to eastern Europe. That's why it's either locked inside my alarmed house or under my bum or in my sight.
I think the point is that if you won't ever let your bike out of your sight unless it's at home, then it's not useful transport for lots of destinations, including the coast where @robjh went, or the beach cafe I went to on Monday, or the shops I visited yesterday or the pub or ...

Globalti

Legendary Member
Oh. I use my leggies for that kind of stuff; I'm usually accompanied by Mrs Gti who doesn't cycle anyway thanks to a back injury.

I think the point is that if you won't ever let your bike out of your sight unless it's at home, then it's not useful transport for lots of destinations, including the coast where @robjh went, or the beach cafe I went to on Monday, or the shops I visited yesterday or the pub or ...
swimming pool, theatre, cinema, restaurant, brothel.

Oh. I use my leggies for that kind of stuff; I'm usually accompanied by Mrs Gti who doesn't cycle anyway thanks to a back injury.

Well, it sounds like you don't really use your bike as transportation. You use it to ride. If the point of the journey is the ride itself, then keeping an eye on the bike is no heartache. When the point of journey is the destination, then having to stay near your bike is a burden. And using a method for the purpose of getting somewhere you need or want to be is what 'transport" means.

Sorry about the lady's back, though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom