If you lock your bike, be sure you have a key

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

perplexed

Guru
I came across a couple a few years ago when I was doing the coast to coast who'd locked their bikes together at a café.

Unfortunately the keys were in the previous night's B&B about 40 miles back. I tackled the locks with a pair of pliers to no avail, but as luck would have it there were a number of lorries parked up nearby, one of which had a decent tool box...

I did an audax a couple of years ago and happened to be riding with another participant when we got to the café. I had a combination lock so I offered to lock our bikes together and he accepted.

When I got inside I realised I couldn't remember the combination. The more I thought about it, the more certain I was I couldn't remember. I had visions of having to find some boltcutters to separate the bikes so the other participant could get on his way. Or worse we both have to pack and somehow sort them out later
I read this and said "wait! have I gone on an audax with @nickyboy?"

My version ended slightly differently (phew). There were three of us, and while I went with the guy who had forgotten his combination to rustle up some wire cutters, the 3rd guy bent over the bikes. Before we had actually rung the first doorbell, he shouted "it's open". In just a few seconds he had Houdinied it open using nothing but the power of his mind and his human fingers.

Last edited:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
On my cargo bike I use an Abus Granit/Anvil/Rock/heavy lump of a lock. It's a beast, but useful for town where it's most likely to get nicked. There is a spare key hidden down the stem of the stoker bars. I also keep the Abus code card in my wallet should I need a spare. £15 mind!

Only did it once. A long walk home soon learns you.

Sandra6

Veteran
I have come back to the bike a few times, checked my pockets for the key, checked my bag, checked my pockets again then looked down to see it left in the lock!!!
I also had a key snap in the lock once and had to get a friend to come and cut it free.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I've got back to the car park, shot away after a tiring Audax and can't find my truck keys. Just want a milkshake, just want to go home and shower the cow shite out of my hair. Chickens need to get shut away from the foxes and badgers. Tortoise hasn't been fed. Kids need picking up from their mum's.

Hell's teeth your mind does weird stuff when you are tired.

Key is where it always is. Every time. I am a tonsil.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I did an audax a couple of years ago and happened to be riding with another participant when we got to the café. I had a combination lock so I offered to lock our bikes together and he accepted.

When I got inside I realised I couldn't remember the combination. The more I thought about it, the more certain I was I couldn't remember. I had visions of having to find some boltcutters to separate the bikes so the other participant could get on his way. Or worse we both have to pack and somehow sort them out later

Went back outside and I said "I'll just unlock the bikes".....gulp....tried to completely clear my mind of numbers....click, click, click, click.......bingo
You don't need to know the combination or break anything to open one.

keithmac

Guru
I left my car unlocked for a week with the keys in the ignition, only found them after spending a couple of hours looking all over the bloody house..

Obviously not worth stealing!.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I left my car unlocked for a week with the keys in the ignition, only found them after spending a couple of hours looking all over the bloody house..

Obviously not worth stealing!.
I once left my GSX 750 outside the Docklands Excel Centre with the keys in the ignition while visiting a motorcycle show. We must have been in there about three hours and I never realised till I got back to the bike.

Top Bottom