If you lock your bike, be sure you have a key

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I need a new lock , put mine on the ground while i was changing wheels and bent the key , when i turned it the key has snapped in the lock :cursing:
Pop over. We'll make you a cuppa :smile:

Levo-Lon

Guru
Sometimes Jo the shyte bag fits a lock to your bike for a laugh...

I tend to use a combo..as I forget things

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I locked my bike to a post in remotest quietest rural Lincolnshire while I went up the footpath to see the (disappointing) coastal view. The penny soon dropped that I'd left the key at home. 70 miles away.
Very luckily for me the post wasn't that high, and the lock not through the wheel, so i managed to lift it free (pic 1) and wrap the lock behind the saddle and out of the way (pic 2). A lucky escape indeed.
Don't do like me, kids, take your keys with you
View attachment 348305 View attachment 348306
You were lucky there, that would have been quite the walk home. Not quite the same, but once I tried to unlock my bike and my key snapped in the D lock.I had to saw through my own lock to free my bike. I felt very conspicuous.

Last edited:
OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
Hardly looks like crime central there, though... although he did say it was Lincolnshire IIRC :laugh:
It was actually over the border in Lincs, but only just. Almost your neck of the woods in fact

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I did that with a car steering wheel lock once. Locked up 30 miles from home and key on the keyring for a different car. Luckily people were kind enough to give me lifts home and back to rescue the car.

Always good to have locks that you need to lock with the key :smile:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Lucky escape!
My bike locks need a key to lock, so I'm good.
Btw, that cable lock in no good, thieves cut though them like butter with simple cable cutters.
Damhik :sad:

OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
I did that with a car steering wheel lock once. Locked up 30 miles from home and key on the keyring for a different car. Luckily people were kind enough to give me lifts home and back to rescue the car.

Always good to have locks that you need to lock with the key :smile:
Many years ago we locked our car keys inside our car (not hard to do in those pre-central locking days). We were staying at my parents-in-law's pub, where a quick word by them at the bar produced a number of characters who were mysteriously adept at opening car doors with bent coathangers.

Top Bottom