If you were going to be executed....

How would you prefer to be executed?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There's no option for being made to cycle until you drop:laugh:.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Michael Portillo did a radio programme on this a while back. He seemed to reckon hypoxia was the most painless method. It's the way they put male chicks to death. They just remove oxygen from your air. There's no build up of CO2 in your lungs so you don't feel like you're suffocating. You just start talking rubbish, then pass out.

I wouldn't choose lethal injection. That method of execution came about after somebody phoned up a scientist and asked him, if you were to put someone to death by lethal injection, what drugs would he suggest. He suggested some cocktail off the top of his head. Later he was surprised they'd just adopted his suggestions without really doing any further evaluation.

I believe the electric chair was exploited by Thomas Eddison as a way of demonstrating the superiority of direct current transmission over alternating current.

James the Just was stoned twice according a book I read, that reckoned he was the brother of Jesus. The first time he was saved by his friends and got away with an injured leg. He was stoned again about thirty years later when they got him. I'm not sure it involves having lots of little stones thrown at you, rather one very large stone from a height.

Yellow Fang said:
I believe the electric chair was exploited by Thomas Eddison as a way of demonstrating the superiority of direct current transmission over alternating current

yes, he was trying to show how dangerous AC current was - but it didn't work very well and the poor victim took a very long time to die.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Arch. Don't open this link. It's the Edison vs Topsy film.
I think I'd go by gassing. I'd just start to feel sleepy and th...e.......n...... I'....d j...u......s......................

tyred

Legendary Member
But what is the carbon footprint of running an electric chair?

Surely hanging is more sustainable...

Davidc

Guru
How about "None Of The Above"?

Hypoxia sounds like the best option, but hasn't been used. After all what's the point of a punishment that doesn't inflict a bit of gratuitous agony? That's what capital punishment is really all about.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I've always thought it totally bizarre that the US, with its supposed reverence for the constitution (you know, the one that guarantees the sacred 'right to bear arms' that accounts for 30,000 people a year?), which explicitly bars 'cruel and unusual' punishment, should allow things like lethals injections, gas chambers and - worst of all - the electric chair. What in God's name could be more cruel? And how 'usual' is it to wire sentient beings up to the mains? If you want to execute people instantly and painlessly, there's no mystery about it. Do what the Chinese and Russians used to do (and may still, for all I know) - shoot them once in the back of the head. Done.

Top Bottom