If you won the lottery.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
You've convinced me.... scrub my first post.. Lurker has got it spot on..B)

thelurker said:
i've spent the last 20 years of my 40 year life doing 9-5 drudgery and paying mortgages. i'd immediately quit work, live off the interest, travel the world and see all my friends who love from LA to Auckland, play golf on the courses of the world, ride my bike in the sunshine of LA, the south coast of france, the south coast of south africa, perth and new zealand.

give to charity? fcuk that. spent enough of my life paying taxes. this money is mine.

amnesia

Free-wheeling into oblivion...
AFAIK the lottery was formed to fund charities and charitable causes and so simply by playing every week I have contributed in some small part to those causes.

I would sort my family and me out first, before making large donations to 'a good cause'. Thinking about it further, I am more likely to donate my available spare time to these causes than cold, hard cash; assuming I won enough to never work again (which would have to be quite a lot!).

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Mate of mine is Fundraising Director of an international development agency. I used to work there years ago. I'd ring her up, take her out to dinner, explain I'd had a windfall, and ask her if I were to donate £15,000 where would it make the most difference. Then give them a cheque for £150,000.

Crankarm

Guru
GregCollins said:
Mate of mine is Fundraising Director of an international development agency. I used to work there years ago. I'd ring her up, take her out to dinner, explain I'd had a windfall, and ask her if I were to donate £15,000 where would it make the most difference. Then give them a cheque for £150,000.

Which would probably pay her salary for a year :reading:.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Crankarm said:
Which would probably pay her salary for a year :smile:.

Harsh crankers vay harsh :B)

quite a bit longer than that actually......

Which, given her age, expertise and qualifications, is still cheap at twice the price given she's responsible for a fundraising program which brings in several 10's of millions of pounds a year in voluntary donations. Of which, year on year, less than 10% goes on fundraising and admin. I left because whilst I loved the job I had after 5 years I couldn't afford to carry on working there.

You won't get rich working for an international development agency, you may not even get by, but you will sleep well.

Crankarm

Guru
When I was volunteering for SCOPE several years ago it was clear that middle and senior managers were paid very well. I think the chief of the organisation was on a substantial salary and generous benefits package of around £80k -100k a year, maybe more :smile:.

Top Bottom