If you won the lottery.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
10% sounds good to me. I suppose a lot would depend on whether that was 'it' for charitable donations or whether I'd want to give over a longer period. Think I'd go with the one-off approach myself.

on the road

Über Member
For £1.5 million you could get a 2 bedroom flat in London :tongue:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
If we won a sizeable sum on the lottery, Mrs f and i would have to go our separate ways... she's generous to a fault, and would make a list of rellies/charities to give money to. By the time we'd reached the end of that list, we'd be skint!
Personally, I'd give away a tithe. :tongue:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tithe

02GF74

Über Member
why should anyone feel compelled to give any money away?

the world is full of hases and has nots, been like that from the beginning.

02GF74 said:

I wouldn't feel compelled, but I don't think I'd miss the difference between 1.5 million and 1.35 million all that much. It's still a lot of money to me!

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I would help some relatives/friends pay off mortgages and debts etc, which would leave me with 1.49 million. :sad:

I would invest £1m for an annual income then :evil::bicycle:wave goodbye, off the the Scilly Isles while I decide what to do next. :smile:

Greedo

02GF74 said:

It's a normal thing to do if you have a bit of luck, win a bet, get a bonus etc... to share it and £1.5m is a big windfall. why not share it about and maybe help a charity. It's not feeling compelled. It's doing something decent!!

Speicher

Vice Admiral
threebikesmcginty said:
Every little helps If you're going to Tresco. :sad:

Yes, it might be cheaper to go to the Seychelles. The Azores and South Americal would also be on my itinerary. I would need some time in the Scillies to get over the shock of winning the Lottery. I would need to find out who bought me a ticket! :evil::sad:

Can I win £1 million on the Premium Bonds instead? :smile:

When I return from my world travels, and visiting some Cycle Chat peeps, then I would think about what charity to give some money too. Possibly an organisation that provides clean water and medical facilities in the developing/third world.

Crankarm

Guru
Could the earthquake in Haiti have prompted this thread by any chance?

Strange some people spend all their life chasing money or wishing they had more of it and yet when Fortuna lands them a big dollop of it they can't give it away fast enough .......... Money is important if only to recognise the opportunities it can bring if used wisely. Their seems to be mistaken belief that giving cash to charities buys people salvation. Maybe eases their guilt for their greed and selfishness in other areas of their lives. Why not actually do some charity work, be genuinely altruistic.

For Me, I would buy a couple of Max D Front Lights :evil: .........

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I probably wouldn't give any of it away directly, but I'd retire instantly and would spend some of my time doing voluntary work.
Maybe even set up a dog rescue sanctuary or something.

Mind you, I don't do the lottery so I haven't given it that much thought to be fair :evil:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Because I would like to give back something to the people who helped look after my mother in her last days on this earth, and who no doubt would one day be looking after me.

02GF74 said:

Crankarm

Guru
Speicher said:
I would help some relatives/friends pay off mortgages and debts etc, which would leave me with 1.49 million. :sad:

I would invest £1m for an annual income then :evil::bicycle:wave goodbye, off the the Scilly Isles while I decide what to do next. :smile:

I wouldn't help friends or relatives as I should imagine once you help one they'll be queuing at your door, some you've probably not seen or heard from since you were in your birthday suit. No, I would design some elaborate truth test to see if they were geuninely there for my money.

Well Michael Carroll former binman and Lotto lout lost £9.7 million in 18 months. I think his high point was racing a load of old banger cars with his pikey mates around the gardens of his newly acquired mansion much to the annoyance of his neighbours.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Carroll_(lottery_winner)

Crankarm

Guru
Panter said:
I probably wouldn't give any of it away directly, but I'd retire instantly and would spend some of my time doing voluntary work.
Maybe even set up a dog rescue sanctuary or something.

Mind you, I don't do the lottery so I haven't given it that much thought to be fair :evil:

Like anything, you have to be in it to win it :smile:.

Greedo

Crankarm said:
Could the earthquake in Haiti have prompted this thread by any chance?

Strange some people spend all their life chasing money or wishing they had more of it and yet when Fortuna lands them a big dollop of it they can't give it away fast enough .......... Money is important if only to recognise the opportunities it can bring if used wisely. Their seems to be mistaken belief that giving cash to charities buys people salvation. Maybe eases their guilt for their greed and selfishness in other areas of their lives. Why not actually do some charity work, be genuinely altruistic.

For Me, I would buy a couple of Max D Front Lights :evil: .........

Don't think that's the case for me to be honest. I realise only too well the opportunities money can bring.

And giving away money is not something i've ever felt would buy my salvation. It's far too late for that for god sake.

I would just give a larger amount to cancer research purely as it's the only thing that's affected any family member and in doing that and you finding that strange surprises me to be honest. I don't give or would give to any others.

Top Bottom