If you're riding outside Holland . . please wear a helmet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
. . I hate to heat it up, but I had the experience last of August of an unexpected control loss at about 25 MPH (bike lane suddenly cut off by an unexpected right turn). I missed the car but my rear wheel didn't . . 2 to 3 second "rag doll". The hip got hurt, but the helmet (Giro Hex) saved me from a serious on the back of the head--the hip can heal, but once you loose your math skills, they are gone.

Okay, no helmet on dedicated pathways . . I'm cool with this, and I love summer riding. For speeds over 25, and/or riding abeam traffic, however, wear a helmet . . for your loved ones. You can't control all the outcomes!

No thanks

ScotiaLass

Guru
...For speeds over 25, and/or riding abeam traffic, however, wear a helmet . . for your loved ones. You can't control all the outcomes!
Unfortunately you can fall over whilst walking, knock your head and fracture your skull. It doesn't take a hard fall to do some really serious damage :sad:
I wear a helmet and always will, that's my personal choice. In the UK it's not compulsory, I don't know about other countries as I've never ridden abroad.

martint235

Dog on a bike
. . I hate to heat it up, but I had the experience last of August of an unexpected control loss at about 25 MPH (bike lane suddenly cut off by an unexpected right turn). I missed the car but my rear wheel didn't . . 2 to 3 second "rag doll". The hip got hurt, but the helmet (Giro Hex) saved me from a serious on the back of the head--the hip can heal, but once you loose your math skills, they are gone.

Okay, no helmet on dedicated pathways . . I'm cool with this, and I love summer riding. For speeds over 25, and/or riding abeam traffic, however, wear a helmet . . for your loved ones. You can't control all the outcomes!
How do you know your head would have been seriously hurt without the helmet? I've run into a truck at 25mph and walked away with stitches.

Pointless thread,

BSRU

A Human Being
This thread shouldn't be in commuting, it should be hidden away in the never ending helmet debate section.

Mod edit: this was posted as the thread was being moved...!

theclaud

Openly Marxist
FFS. Not again. Helmet evangelists are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORING.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
As helmets are not compulsory in the UK, why is it that you cannot enter a sportive if you don't wear one? Are sportives making their own illegal laws then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom