If you're riding outside Holland . . please wear a helmet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I see your bigger pedant and raise you an even bigger one. Wolf Cubs changed to Cub Scouts in the 60's, following the publication of the Advanced Party report in 1966.

we'll if we're being pedantic, it's not allowed to say "see your this and raise you that" because that is a "string bet" . if you say "see" then you can't then raise - if you want to raise, you say "raise" but musn't say "see".

OP
OP
David Parry

David Parry

Gosh, I'm sorry . . I forgot that not everyone looks good in a helmet . .
22patient-blogSpan.jpg

On my goodness . . what's that she says . . reduces head injuries by 88%. Nah . . can't be . .

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
On my goodness . . what's that she says . . reduces head injuries by 88%. Nah . . can't be . .

Well you're half right, that piece of research has been proven to be a load of bollocks. You may want to have a look around the rest of the helmet dungeon and may learn a thing or two ;)

and anyway - are Dutch heads more resilient or something?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Be fair though, that does tend to go for all sides of such debates innit...
Yebbut 95%* of these threads begin on the same side - with some ill-informed, emotionally manipulative, anecdotal, paternalistic pro-helmet bollocks aimed at telling the rest of us off and assuming we've never given the matter a second's thought.

*I just made that statistic up, by way of revenge for all the utter cobblers talked by the lid pushers.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
So according to the OP, all these years and thousands of miles of safe cycling with no need for a helmet, and just because of some anecdote of one incident he was involved in (and responsible for his own riding) I now need to put on a pudding bowl?

I don't do vicarious responsibility, sorry.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
[QUOTE 2882881, member: 30090"]The OP has taken the time and courage share with us his experience of how a helmet saved his life. This should be embraced - not ridiculed.[/quote]

Have I told you the one about the five pints of Jaipur IPA?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
[QUOTE 2882888, member: 30090"]Proceed...[/quote]
Just sayin'... I had five pints of Jaipur IPA and fell off my bike and hit my head and I just walked away.* If I hadn't had the IPA I would probably have smashed my head to smithereens. Where's the praise for my courage in sharing this salutary lesson?

I say "just walked away" but it's possible that I walked into a door. I don't really remember.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
[QUOTE 2882903, member: 30090"]Er, I thought metaphorically speaking and given the colour of Jaipur IPA, you was politely telling me not to take the ****[/quote]

Well I was, but not quite in the way you thought.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
. . I hate to heat it up, but I had the experience last of August of an unexpected control loss at about 25 MPH (bike lane suddenly cut off by an unexpected right turn). I missed the car but my rear wheel didn't . . 2 to 3 second "rag doll". The hip got hurt, but the helmet (Giro Hex) saved me from a serious on the back of the head--the hip can heal, but once you loose your math skills, they are gone.

Okay, no helmet on dedicated pathways . . I'm cool with this, and I love summer riding. For speeds over 25, and/or riding abeam traffic, however, wear a helmet . . for your loved ones. You can't control all the outcomes!

http://www.gicentre.net/blog/2013/11/24/risk-cycling-and-denominator-neglect

thom

____
Yebbut 95%* of these threads begin on the same side - with some ill-informed, emotionally manipulative, anecdotal, paternalistic pro-helmet bollocks aimed at telling the rest of us off and assuming we've never given the matter a second's thought.

*I just made that statistic up, by way of revenge for all the utter cobblers talked by the lid pushers.
You have to admit it, prima facie you'd likely believe helmets were useful.

Another one of my observations of these threads is the response to the above statement is going to be met with a request for a peer reviewed journal backing it up and an ensuing mutual back slapping by way of liberal "likes"…

Which would miss the point of the statement but nevertheless be an irresistible cue to a binge of rehearsed reheated arguments smelling of putrid vomit.

I don't believe in compelling people to wear helmets - in practice I tend to wear them if I clip in and don't if I don't clip in. But it seems to me something as a matter of faith on both sides as to the wisdom of either position. Which is all right, it just means that the sneering self-righteousness that does get exhibited is rather tedious and repulsive.

Ok, I'm off !

Reactions: srw
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom