If you're riding outside Holland . . please wear a helmet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thom

____
FFS. Not again. Helmet evangelists are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORING.
Be fair though, that does tend to go for all sides of such debates innit...

[QUOTE 2881758, member: 259"]

[/quote]

That kitten is NOT wearing a helmet!

cat-wearing-helmet.jpg

As helmets are not compulsory in the UK, why is it that you cannot enter a sportive if you don't wear one? Are sportives making their own illegal laws then?

Nope - they are making up their own rules for their organised ride.... a bit like play the game my way or I will take away the ball.

So "within reasons" means they can violate your right not to wear one then?

Yep - that is the case. Its a bit like the ability to refuse entry

Interestingly though the rules for UK cycling events go further then that:

It is mandatory that all riders wear a safety approved cycling helmet complying with latest ANSI Z90/4 or SNELL standards. Any rider not wearing a helmet will not be covered by the event insurance and will be disqualified from the event and could be liable for damages if involved in an accident on that basis. The rider must accept this as a condition of entry. UK Cycling Events reserve the right to refuse entry to the event to anyone with inappropriate equipment or clothing. The participant confirms that the cycle/bike they are riding for the event and all of their equipment is of a suitable standard and state of trail/road worthiness. In particular, the ability to complete longest distance, and over rough terrain dependant on the event.

The weak European standard EN1078 is at last being recognised as insufficient

Last edited:

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
That's why I don't do sportives:
1) Why pay to do something I can do for free.
2) I don't like being told what to wear when I am within my rights and within the law.

Sara_H

Guru
A pedant writes: That's Dyb dyb dyb. It's an acronym for Do Your Best.

We now return you to your usual programme.
I apologise. We didn't do acronyms in the girl guides - we said it in full. Acronyms are for lazy talkers!

A pedant writes: That's Dyb dyb dyb. It's an acronym for Do Your Best.

We now return you to your usual programme.

I apologise. We didn't do acronyms in the girl guides - we said it in full. Acronyms are for lazy talkers!

[bigger pedant]Tis also an age thing , this went out in the late 70's or early 80's when the Wolf Cubs became Cub Scouts![/[bigger pedant]

Tim Hall

[bigger pedant]Tis also an age thing , this went out in the late 70's or early 80's when the Wolf Cubs became Cub Scouts![/[bigger pedant]
I see your bigger pedant and raise you an even bigger one. Wolf Cubs changed to Cub Scouts in the 60's, following the publication of the Advanced Party report in 1966.

Sara_H

Guru
No they're not...
I think they are. Cycle helmets are mandatory at any British Cycling race, one of the leaders at my sons speedway club even tried to tell me I wasn't allowed to drop my son off by bike minus a helmet as it was a BC event. He wished he'd not bothered afterwards.

Also, I applied to be a breeze champion but was told that it was mandatory to lead a ride, so withdrew my application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom