Ikea Sheffield

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
All down to wording and drafting of the conditions laid down in the planning.

In this case someone has drop the ball and it's not worth the paper it's written on.

If IKEA going feel like going anything about it then little the planning offers can do about it sadly.

tom73

Guru
I guess it's important but I don't see shoppers loading book cases onto their bikes or much of Ikea's other offerings :smile:.
Their record on bicycles isn't too good either with the Sladda being recalled last year.

Very true you can't even say it would help getting to the near by tram stop as bikes are not allowed on the super tram.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Very true you can't even say it would help getting to the near by tram stop as bikes are not allowed on the super tram.
In case you're wondering why I'm even commenting I did visit the store eighteen months ago and am planning another visit when I come over next month. I'll be sure to check the cycling facilities this time. I assume folders are allowed on the tram.

tom73

Guru
Cool worse placers to visit hope you get time to take a trip out into the peaks. If you don't fancy the hills plenty of bus rides to go at ;)
Yes you will be fine with a folder.

classic33

Leg End Member
Local supermarket had a similar requirement put in place, as part of their planning application.

Now the council plan on removing it, as part of a road widening scheme, they can't actually do.

tom73

Guru
Sounds about right

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Its just been on the local news, that part of the requirment for building a new IKEA in Sheffield was the provision of a cycle track to link to existing tracks.

It seems the council made a bit of a mess of the planning and it was never built, IKEA refuse to remedy saying they complied with the planning instructions.

A bit of a cock up.

https://www.cyclesheffield.org.uk/2018/09/17/where-is-the-cycle-infrastructure-at-ikea/
The IKEA will be so big it needs a cycle track!? :eek:

KneesUp

Guru
The road there is awful for cycling on. It’s near the M1 and Meadowhall and it’s a narrow dual carriageway with high kerbs. The bike lane was no specifically to get to Ikea it was to allow cyclists to avoid the main road, and to link up existing routes and was part of the reason consent was given to build it there.

DRM

Guru
The ironic thing in all this is that the big blue box of hell likes to make out how environmentally friendly they are, so go on prove it, install the bike lane, I've seen first hand the money that gets wasted in those stores with cock ups, the cycle lane will be peanuts by comparison.

steven1988

Veteran
SCC really had IKEA's pants down to get a store here. All the road alterations they had to pay for, 90% of employees had to be from the same post code area. Is it a surprise they wanted to take a little bit back?

KneesUp

Guru
Ikea's Vision Statement said:
We want our business to have a positive impact on the world – from the communities where we source our materials, to the way our products help our customers to live a more sustainable life at home.

By sharing what we do, and speaking up for what we believe in, we can be part of a positive change in society.

They missed off "... but if we can dodge out of building a cycle path intended to help the community, even though one might argue that it's construction was clearly intended as part of the planning consent, we definitely will"

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/this-is-ikea/about-us/vision-and-business-idea-pub9cd02291

Top Bottom