Illegal behaviour rampant among HGV drivers.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
gah

Brandane

Legendary Member
Drivers face random searches at nationwide police road-blocks:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/d...-at-nationwide-police-roadblocks-1171084.html

I suppose you could argue the stops are random, but the police target defective vehicles or criminal drivers, neither of those are apparent til the vehicle's been stopped?
That article is 15 years old.
But back to the point of allegedly "random" checks. Do you really think that the Police would publicly say anything else? They're hardly likely to announce that they are setting out to target those bad boys from Ireland, and the law breakers from eastern Europe, are they. In the same way that they aren't going to admit to targeting particular nationalities who are, allegedly, more likely to be involved in certain categories of crime in the UK..

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Whether the checks are random or targeted simply generates a headline number. It seems pretty clear to me that there are a lot of dangerous vehicles and operators out there, enough to suggest something needs to be done. Add to this the fact that HGV's and to be even more explicit a certain kind of HGV seems to be proportionally greater than others in killing cyclists in particular, suggests to me that there's more than a damn good case to be answered.

OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

That article is 15 years old.
They're hardly likely to announce that they are setting out to target those bad boys from Ireland, and the law breakers from eastern Europe, are they.

If that's what they're doing they seem to catch a surprising number of home-grown criminal lorry drivers.

Brandane

Legendary Member
If that's what they're doing they seem to catch a surprising number of home-grown criminal lorry drivers.
I was merely using that as an example to demonstrate the point that you seem to be missing all through this thread; that Police and/or VOSA checks are mainly TARGETED, not random.

classic33

Leg End Member
Tried to find figures for daily usage, by HGV's on the M62. Came across this.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyLV6jHJt28

If they were to pull every HGV, what would the cost be. Last/next* chance to pull them them off the motorway, would be J24.
Usually they will target vehicles that they have been informed about. Often it can be those at the services that have reported them, or they've been caught on camera there.

*This from the viewpoint at the start & dependent on direction of travel.

classic33

Leg End Member
Summerdays, I have no problem whatsoever with VOSA going after targeted foreign trucks. These trucks come over here and dont pay road tax like we do, yet these trucks cause more damage to our road network simply because many are overweight and illegal etc. When we visit their country we have to pay tolls ....

My problem is with the OP who thinks he's found some golden information, because it backs up his own personal view. This is a non story being given oxygen
How do you explain UK based companies using foreign registered HGV's in their fleet colours. Taking advantage of cheaper taxing systems elsewhere?

classic33

Leg End Member
Are those wagons actually owned/operated by Irish companies, or English companies taking advantage of a cheaper operating system?
Stobart have a depot on the North Wall, using Irish registered vehicles.
Go down the midlands(Ireland) & you'll come across a company thats known on both sides of the Irish Sea, to those whose job it is to check the vehicles on the roadside. A driver gets caught on one route in, will be taken of that route & come in by another.
They used to have a red colour scheme.

Question raised within the industry itself. How widespread is the use of GPS Jammers by drivers?

See http://forum.truckersworld.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=18531

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/kf ... z1Fa0OMYd4

Last edited:
OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

I was merely using that as an example to demonstrate the point that you seem to be missing all through this thread; that Police and/or VOSA checks are mainly TARGETED, not random.

And I wondered if you had any evidence for this? When Mermaid was set up the police said it was random checks, they've said so quite a few times since, can you find any quote from the police that confirms the stops are not random?

OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

Random lorries can be targeted.

Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA) compliance checks, carried out randomly at the roadside to give an unbiased picture of compliance within the UK fleet, show that in 2003/4 more than one in ten trucks (11.5%), one in six trailers (16.3%) and one in fourteen buses and coaches (7.0%) had mechanical defects. More than one in five trucks (22.4%) had ‘paperwork’ offences that can be life-threatening, most of which were breaches of drivers’ hour rules and tachograph offences.[3]

http://www.brake.org.uk/info-resour...g-the-safety-of-commercial-vehicles-in-the-uk

Top Bottom