Illegal to park on cycle lanes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

atalanta

The cycle lane on TCR is almost always blocked by parked cars and vans and I'm starting to get bloody annoyed about it. What's the point of setting up the damn thing if you're just going to let people park there?
three-vans-cycle-lane.jpg

simongt

Guru
Much more fun....
Being picky, it's n APC, not a tank. But point made, although what a lovely quite, traffic free street - ! :rofl:

simongt

Guru
What's the point of setting up the damn thing if you're just going to let people park there?
Unfortunately the point is that these things are set up without any consideration as to whether there is enough infrastructure i.e., parking wardens, to enforce it on a long term basis. And come on, didn't you know that delivery drivers / couriers are totally 'blind' to any enforcing road sign that doesn't suit them - ?

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Unfortunately the point is that these things are set up without any consideration as to whether there is enough infrastructure i.e., parking wardens, to enforce it on a long term basis. And come on, didn't you know that delivery drivers / couriers are totally 'blind' to any enforcing road sign that doesn't suit them - ?
It is an enforcement problem, if people thought there was any chance of being caught they would think twice. I cringe as I pass a pedestrian crossing with zig zags which taxis use as a taxi rank. That has clearly become custom, despite the fact that they should all be getting three points on their licence.The police just don't care.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I cringe as I pass a pedestrian crossing with zig zags which taxis use as a taxi rank. That has clearly become custom, despite the fact that they should all be getting three points on their licence.The police just don't care.
Overtaking through zebra crossings seems even more widespread and possibly more likely to injure someone walking. The police don't seem to care about that either. The motorists seem to be winning: might makes right? :sad:

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Overtaking through zebra crossings seems even more widespread and possibly more likely to injure someone walking. The police don't seem to care about that either. The motorists seem to be winning: might makes right? :sad:
More just that most police in supervisory positions are middle aged, rotund, and haven't been on a bike since it had stabilisers?

Cars first and bicycles only because you have to say you have made "cycle improvements", even when it buggers up things for cyclists.

simongt

Guru
To prove my point about couriers, I work in a warehouse and for safety and practicality, we have a clearly indicated traffic flow around said yard. As a driver enters the open yard, there are a series of 2.5 metre long bright yellow arrows showing the direction of flow. When a driver decides to simply turn left into the loading area because it's quicker, I tell him he's come in against the traffic flow and didn't he see the big yellow arrows showing etc., etc.. Usually the reply is 'No mate', :whistle: to which I reply 'So how do you get on with road signs then - ?' That always has them stumped for an answer. :wahhey:

oldstrath

Über Member
Urging by behaviour the answer most drivers would give is "of course I can park in them". No guarantee your wing mirrors will be intact though.

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I spent a while today overlooking National Route 336 / A370 and cars parked in the already-substandardly-narrow cycle lanes were causing lots of families cycling with children (probably to/from the newly- opened Brean Down Way) to have to negotiate pulling out into fairly busy traffic. Those drivers are scum and those at the local council failing to issue the parking tickets are also scum, aren't they?

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I reported several vehicles parking in a cycle lane on the A58 between Lower Brear and Stump Cross (actually half in a cycle lane, half on a narrow pavement - so forcing peds into the road as well) to Calderdale council and got a fob off response that it was nothing to do with them and I'd have to report to plod.
The irony of course is that there are parking spaces marked out on the opposite side of the road that could have been used, but that would presumably require too much effort.

Mind you I also reported the illegal parking on double yellows outside Tesco at Hipperholme that blocks the A58 and their response was that they'd sent a parking attendant and while he was stood there no-one parked illegally - really? :wacko:

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom