I'm a bit alarmed that this happened without me noticing!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I check my brakes and my tyres... no idea what the other six are.

Go on, i bet you're dying to tell us :smile:
Not really. We're all experienced ridwrs and I'm sure we all do our own checks before cocking a leg over.

But if anyone is desperately curious and won't be able to sleep without knowing then I'll reveal all.

Drago

Legendary Member
That's norra bad guess!

Brakes
Electrics
Steering
Tyres
Chain (and transmission)
Oil
Pedals
Accessories

And then there's the shorter ABC for when the bike has been left unattended gotca short while..,

Air
Brakes
Clamps (as in QR)

Tynan

Veteran
My wife draged me to her club training once and they taught us a thorough pre ride check and warm up

A bounce of the bike to check tyres and rattle for me pre commute

Anything else will become apparent when riding, it's hadly likelt to be disastrous

I did have the front brake cable snap when braking suddenly on a big rab and the front rim exploded last month mind, I like to get full value from parts

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Pre-ride bike safety checks are a good idea. Look what I found when cleaning my bike before a forum ride ...

cracked-crank.jpg

And look what another cyclist did not spot on his bike ...

dead_forks_small.jpg

:eek:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Some problems are a bit harder to spot :ohmy:
7987898571_5d722dc734_b.jpg
Blimey - that's a good 'un! I've seen several cracked rims and cracks around spoke nipples but I've never seen that before.

I was out on on one of my forum rides and heard a slightly thudding in time with each revolution of my back wheel. I got off and took a look and discovered a small bulge in the tyre which was catching on my mudguard. When I got home, I took the tyre off to investigate and discovered that it was delaminating from the inside, a bit like that rim cracking from the inside. At some point the tyre would have failed and the tube would probably have exploded.

I recommend that all cyclists should carry out regular inspections of their bikes. Don't put off fixing any problems that you find - I've had all sorts of problems when I did that, ranging from a failed handlebar stem, to a destroyed rim and an exploding tyre!

Matthames

Über Member
Blimey - that's a good 'un! I've seen several cracked rims and cracks around spoke nipples but I've never seen that before.

I was out on on one of my forum rides and heard a slightly thudding in time with each revolution of my back wheel. I got off and took a look and discovered a small bulge in the tyre which was catching on my mudguard. When I got home, I took the tyre off to investigate and discovered that it was delaminating from the inside, a bit like that rim cracking from the inside. At some point the tyre would have failed and the tube would probably have exploded.

I recommend that all cyclists should carry out regular inspections of their bikes. Don't put off fixing any problems that you find - I've had all sorts of problems when I did that, ranging from a failed handlebar stem, to a destroyed rim and an exploding tyre!

The wheel cracked like that whilst I was riding home from work, not far either from a section where I can easily get up to speeds of 30+ mph. Riding along I hear this popping noise, similar to the noise you get when you get a fairy visit or a spoke breaking. When it first happened I had an inkling that it was a rim failure, although I wasn't expecting them to have failed in the way that they did.

The reason why it failed, it is quite difficult to say, although running the tyres close to the maximum pressure on poorly maintained roads didn't help.

The hole is 10mm across. I've asked my Bike Doctor if he has a spare as I need to replace it in time for Monday's commute :smile:

Very kind of you though!

You'll be fine to commute on it as is for a day or two and replace it when you can. Its a sign it wasn't done up tight enough when the ring was fitted. After all who goes round checking their chain ring mountings before every ride. Can't think of the last time I checked mine that wasn't part of taking one off or on for cleaning or replacement.

Top Bottom