I'm a bit alarmed that this happened without me noticing!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Wouldnt leave it too long though. Was riding with a guy on an audax recently who had one bolt fail and then the others all started to work loose...

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I popped over to see the bike doctor and he had to saw a bolt in half to get it to fit. All sorted now though.

HovR

Über Member
I popped over to see the bike doctor and he had to saw a bolt in half to get it to fit. All sorted now though.

I had to do this with my Peugeot build. Removed one of the rings, so of course the bolts were too long.. It was a Sunday and only one bike shop was open, who didn't stock chain ring bolts.

Ended up milling down the originals in the lathe. ^_^

Acyclo

Veteran
Pre-ride bike safety checks are a good idea. Look what I found when cleaning my bike before a forum ride ...

cracked-crank.jpg

And look what another cyclist did not spot on his bike ...

:eek:
Is it just me, or is the square-taper arrangement deeply flawed for its purpose?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Is it just me, or is the square-taper arrangement deeply flawed for its purpose?

Absolutely not !

To be honest the cartridge bearing square taper systems are far more reliable than BB30 and external cups as the bearings are out of the way. Whether they (BB30 and external) are noticably stiffer is not something most mortals would notice.

Never had a crank split like that. I'm running a 26 year old Shimano 600 crankset on one bike, 22 year old Dura Ace on another, 17-18 year old Deore LX on the MTB, and a 3 year old one on my fixed.

That looks like a Campag crank - pah ! :tongue:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That looks like a Campag crank - pah ! :tongue:
Eagle eyes - yes, that was a Campag crank!

I had problems with another crank about 10 years ago. I actually snapped that one, but fortunately not a critical moment. I was coming to a steep little rise in the road and had decided to stand to power my way up it but the crank snapped as soon as I started to lift my weight off the saddle, promptly dumping me back down again. If I had been halfway up the hill, or pushing down on the pedal on a fast bend, I could have had a nasty crash. I can't remember what type of cranks I had on that bike.

Sharp 90 degree corners are not good for fatigue and crack propagation, just ask De Havilland. [/design engineer talk]
I agree. Read about the WWII Liberty Ships which broke in half due to cracks propagating from the corners of hatches on their decks!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Buy Campag, buy twice ! :laugh:

Davidc

Guru
I've never had a square taper crank fail. I did have a cotter pinned one go with the crack starting at the hole for the pin - that was a long time ago though!

On the other hand I have had many fatigue failures on bike components, and I try to look at the area around all holes when I do my monthly bike services. One of the nastiest I've found in recent years was one side of a front fork lug on my son's (somewhat abused) bike.

green1

Über Member
I agree. Read about the WWII Liberty Ships which broke in half due to cracks propagating from the corners of hatches on their decks!
On a normal ship of the time it wasn't a problem as the cracks couldn't propagate very far as the plates where all riveted together. But the liberty ships were welded together so they could be built quickly, so one small crack could quickly become 2 halfs of a ship, especially in rough weather.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
On a normal ship of the time it wasn't a problem as the cracks couldn't propagate very far as the plates where all riveted together. But the liberty ships were welded together so they could be built quickly, so one small crack could quickly become 2 halfs of a ship, especially in rough weather.
Also - the steel used in their construction became brittle in the bitterly low temperatures they sometimes encountered at sea.

Top Bottom