I'm doing something for Charideeeee

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclist33

Nope!

It's a pain in the **** raising the funds, it always costs you more than you thought, you never know how much gets to where it's really needed, and you don't come away from the occasion with the sense of having motivated yourself for no other reason than to motivate yourself.

vickster

Legendary Member
Choose a small local charity rather than one of the national big boys (unless a specific cancer charity or whatever is close to your heart)

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I have done some charity rides.
Best way is to set up a just giving page or similar so you dont have to faff about collecting money.

Ciar

Veteran
I am doing a charity ride myself, for canine partners, mainly because i can either raise donations or pay a set fee and enter, so stumping for the set fee it's also in Epping Forest which is my local MTB stomping group and one i have ridden a ton of times, looking forward to seeing how different the route is going to be to one i usually ride, is it going to more fire roads of trails which i would normally take, either way happy to help a charity out :smile:

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
Nope!

It's a pain in the **** raising the funds, it always costs you more than you thought, you never know how much gets to where it's really needed, and you don't come away from the occasion with the sense of having motivated yourself for no other reason than to motivate yourself.
It's going to cost me approximately, give or take a bit, with adjustments for stuff, nothing. I don't have to raise anything at all, I'm already in on the ballot, so anything raised goes straight to the charity, via the Virgin money just giving page, they've even topped up the donations so far, with the gift aid thing.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
I have done some charity rides.
Best way is to set up a just giving page or similar so you dont have to faff about collecting money.
That's what I did, It makes the whole process completely painless, as I don't have to go looking for donations, just forward a couple of links to folk I know, then see what happens.:smile:

Cyclist33

It's going to cost me approximately, give or take a bit, with adjustments for stuff, nothing. I don't have to raise anything at all, I'm already in on the ballot, so anything raised goes straight to the charity, via the Virgin money just giving page, they've even topped up the donations so far, with the gift aid thing.

I was just replying to your question from my perspective.

vickster

Legendary Member
Don't you already do plenty of long rides, I can't understand why it'll be a mental struggle for you? It's not a CAT1 race (nor any sort of race)!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Nope!

I can assure you that any proceeds raised for the Smokin Joe Bike Upgrade Charity will go exactly where needed.

Please give generously.

Simontm

Veteran
Well I'm riding for MS Society (link in signature) because of two special people and am already on nearly 40% of target in just a month. I am bloody terrified - I ride 100 miles or so a week not in a day and the highest hills are at Worcester Park and up to Westmead not Box And Leith Hills ^_^

Simontm

Veteran
Planning on plenty of adrenalin :okay: Can do 40 so will step that up a bit. the real issue is that roundabout the 85 mile mark I will literally be passing the end of my road where the idea is that my daughter, dad and in-laws will be there - now that's a mental challenge ^_^

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
All those photos of you passing and looking good, followed by a mere 15 more to contemplate them.
Screaming off topic, but quite a few years ago I did a sportive around the Ashdowne Forest, where the organisers had decided to station a photographer at the top of the last big climb of the day. As I'd ridden overnight from Winchester, this was at about mile 120 for the day and I was not fully up to the task. The resulting photo showed me mouthing the first letter of "c***" at the snapper. Respect to the chap - he just laughed to told me to "get a f****** move on".

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
Well I'm riding for MS Society (link in signature) because of two special people and am already on nearly 40% of target in just a month. I am bloody terrified - I ride 100 miles or so a week not in a day and the highest hills are at Worcester Park and up to Westmead not Box And Leith Hills ^_^

Good stuff. Dont worry about the mileage and hills too much, you'd be suprised how a bit of encouragement (which you'll get from the spectators and other riders) will stop your legs complaining :bravo:

Top Bottom