I'm going to say it... I hate summer!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In contrast to the many posts loving the nicer weather, I'm going to take a stand and announce my opposite standpoint!

I suffer from hay fever badly, and whenever we reach this time of year, the nice weather coincides with a permanently runny nose (except at night when it's blocked), a sore nose from blowing it, constant sneezing, and stuffy uncomfortable houses due to not being able to open a window. Oh, and I can get badly sunburnt just putting washing out to dry!

Whilst walking the dogs today, on about my thirtieth (no exaggeration) back to back sneeze, I remember thinking how walking them was about to become a chore again, when all through winter I've really looked forward to it.

The one bright point is that I don't sneeze when out on the bike - though the runny nose is still there - so its actually a bit of a respite for me to go out on a ride. I'm sure there's some medical reason for this.

So, bring back the cold weather (I can wear more layers), bring back the wet weather (I can wear waterproofs), and bah humbug to Summer!

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
After a glorious 30-something miles around the streets of London, I can't agree with you, but then again I don't suffer from hay fever (you have my sympathy) and I hate the cold as much as it hates me. The weather's worth it just for the pot of tea when I got in. Ok, a post ride pot of tea isn't everybody's...er...cup of tea, but surely a cold beer must taste better when you're nicely warmed up.

Brandane

Legendary Member
That reminds me of another reason why I like living where I am, and don't want to move (re the fuel price thread :rolleyes:). I also USED to suffer badly with hayfever, even in the cold and wet west of Scotland. Moved to the coast; and hey presto, no more hayfever! You have my sympathy, it can be really miserable at times.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
With a name like Summerdays I'm going to have to disagree .... LOVE Summer, hate Winter! Less clothes, not shivering, the warm balmy sun on your skin, long days, silky nights ... give me Summer anytime!

Doseone

Guru
This weather we are having now is perfect. I don't like it too hot though. You have my sympathy with your hayfever. My son gets it and its horrible.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Last week we had a couple of days I deemed perfect. This week is turning out to be too hot! In March for Chrissakes!

I'm lucky not to suffer from hayfever, but too much heat saps my energy.

I think it's a bit of a shock to the system this year because we haven't had a lot of spring to get used to it being warm gradually.

It'll be back to normal next week apparently, except it'll feel really cold after this week!

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I hate the Summer too.

I don't suffer from hayfever, I just burn ludicrously easily instead, even with factor 50 plastered all over me! That said, I can stand the weather like this for short periods of time, and I do like heat (although cold and wet weather doesn't bother me either), it is just direct sunlight I can do without.

Besides, with everyone wearing skimpy clothes at the moment, just enjoy it whilst it lasts! ^_^

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
What makes it worse is everyone banging on about how wonderful it all is.

Well, actually, no, it isn't, if like me, you only have to THINK of the sun and you turn redder than a cooked Lobster blushing!

My favourite season is Autumn, and I love snow.... and mist, so get it up yiz!

tyred

Legendary Member
Put me in the hate summer camp. Mild hayfever (I'm not as bad as some others I know, you have my sympathy) a tendency to burn up at the merest sign of sun, hot weather zaps my energy and lots of people blethering on about how brilliant it is.

buddha

Veteran
As well as antihistamines, I've been doing a nasal rinse twice a day using one of these. It takes about a week to get used to, but once you get into a routine, it does make quite a difference.

Top Bottom