I'm looking for a challange

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Unfortunately my mother died just over a month ago from MND. During her illness she received amazing support from both MND Scotland and the hospice she attended (Accord Hospice, Paisley).

So I want to do something to say thank-you to them. I want a cycling challenge.

This year I managed two sportives, the Rapha Condor Blackpool sportive which was about 85 miles (though very badly organised) and the Trossachs Ton which was just over 100 miles (very well organised).

So I am looking to up the ante this year. I'm reasonably fit (did the Ton with an average speed of 16.5mph) and hopefully with extra training this year I will be fitter still.

So what sportives would you suggest? What sportives are tough enough to encourage people to sponsor me? Of course I would need to be able to finish it, so nothing too crazy!:bravo:

Ideally I'd like to keep it in Scotland if possible.

Waspie

Über Member
Ullapool Mor?

jimboalee

Look on AUK's website and find the 'Peneperipheral'. In Calendar - Permanents.

It is a coastal route round Britain.

Check out the Scotland sections and add one extra along the border.

Follow the link to Ross's website for more details.

Something like this could be arranged in either metric or imperial centuries over consecutive days.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Jim,

I'm looking to up the ante, not do an around the world ride! :blush::rolleyes: Let me quote....'These Permanents are for experienced Randonneurs.'. I'm not!

In truth a one day sportive is my limit at the moment (physically and practically).

The Ullapool Mor is certainly a possibility.:biggrin:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Kestevan said:
Flat out in the Fens sounds fun. 150+ miles (but no hills).

The distance would certainly be a challenge, but the thing that will draw in donations will be the hills.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Cheshire cat sportive in March ?

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Mmm. the Northern Rock ride certainly looks challenging, but I'd need to get to Newcastle etc. Middle of nowhere, that is..:blush:

The Cheshire Cat is too early in the year for me. We have a baby due in January, so I don't expect to have a lot of training in me at the start of the year!:rolleyes:

jimboalee

Before my LEJOG for Marie Curie, I conducted a poll of friends, relatives and acquaintances "What ride should I do to raise money". The overwhelming suggestion was "Land's End to John O'Groats".

If it is known a cyclist can ride 100 miles in a day, the challenge is not great enough to be impressive.

My relatives etc knew I could ride 125 miles in a day, but were surprised when I said I was planning to ride LEJOG in 7 days, 135 miles per day. Instead of the £1 sponsor money, it was £10 and £20.

Even my work pals extended to £5 from their normal miserable £1 for sponsored events undertaken by colleagues.

You say you have already done "The Trossachs Ton". They all know this now so another ton will NOT be a challenge. You did say "CHALLENGE". :blush:

Drummore to John O'Groats in six days would be impressive.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Time is against me though jimboalee. As we are about to have our third child in January and work commitments are significant I can't afford the time to train for or do a 6 or 7 day ride. Maybe in a few years.

Greenbank, the Snow Road ride certainly looks interesting/challenging. 186 miles in a day would be impressive especially considering it isn't flat!

I've never done anything remotely AUK style. What would be needed? I assume that I would have to take food etc, so panniers would be required? Would there be places to stop along the way? Would I be on my own most of the time? Would I need to grow a beard? ;):smile:

HelenD123

Legendary Member
A colleague did a 400k audax and she raised a load of money. She did it in about 20 hours including riding through the night which makes it more appealing to sponsors I think. She was very fit but not really a cyclist before she started training for it so I'm sure you could manage it.

Top Bottom