I'm looking for a challange

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Ken Laidlaw Hawick Sportive ?

Ken Laidlaw Sportive 2010

Hawick Cycle Club would like to invite you to ride this event on 22nd August 2010

I have Received this privileged early e-mail as either a person who has rode (sic), entered or made an enquiry about the Ken Laidlaw sportive.

Due to the continuing interest and success of this event early entry is highly recommended, the event has been capped at 350 riders.

A tough challenge
With a distance of 165km and a number climbs totalling 2500m, the Ken Laidlaw Borders Sportive is a tough challenge - but there are several aspects of the route that more than make up for the work:

The event is held mainly on well-surfaced back roads with very little traffic
The views around this Borders route are fantastic, and in fact the challenge takes in the Samye Ling Tibetan Monastery, the largest Buddhist centre in Europe.
We like to think that our hospitality is second to none; this is an event organised by cyclists for cyclists
A beginners' route of 83Km is available for less experienced competitors

Rewards and facilities
Two lavishly stocked feed stations on the route
Ken Laidlaw souvenir gift
Customised medal with ribbon
Showers and changing rooms
Photos of riders will be made available on-line
Images from the 2009 event
Route card
Broom wagon, mechanics and first aid
Hot meal at finish provided free for all riders, in Hawick Rugby Club
List of finishers will be published on this website

Details of the ride
Starting at 9am( sign on from 7.30am) from Hawick Rugby Club, the total distance for the long challenge will be 165km (beginners' route 83km), and takes in the Tibetan monastery.
The longer route takes in the climbs of: Bonchester Hill; The Note o the Gate; Holm Hill; Eskdalemuir; The Berry Bush; The Swire; Woll Rig and The Leap Linns.
Swire and the Berry Bush are part of the Gordon Arms Trophy Hilly TT course. The Start and finish is at Hawick Rugby Club where Changing etc will be provided.

Follow link for more information and links to enter.
http://www.cyclosport.org/eventdetails.aspx?id=506&eventid=383

View the map and profile here
http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=75372
This is the one which Seamab, Vinega and I did this year. It is certainly the toughest ride I have done - and the constant heavy rain didn't help ;) :smile:

It is a really well organised ride and the feed stations are ace. It is quite possibly challenging enough for your non-cycling friends/rellies and, if they are not convinced, send them out on a nice day's drive round the route ...... but better not go yourself :smile:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

scoosh said:
Ken Laidlaw Hawick Sportive ?

Aye, this is the type of thing I had in mind, that and the Radar ride. Both obviously challengeing to anyone who knows anything about cycling. However, maybe something like Greenbank suggested would be more obviously challenging to the non-converted, i.e. 185 miles (big jump in distance) and 4800m climbing.

I do wonder if I could actually do it though! ;)

The Etape du Dales looks like a challenge as well!:smile:

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Here's an idea
pick your one 3 or 4 day road race route around where you want to ride
have your race days finish at your pre booked B & B of your own choice
you can always have your stuff pre delivered to the B&Bs if you dont have backup.. but having backup is good for publicity and the sponsors
give it a catchy name
'#etape de scotia#'
just an idea

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Depending where in Glasgow you are, Thurso is 'only' 276 miles away by A82 / A9.
That's a (calendar) day's ride, and is (presumably) something that even non riders can get their heads around.

Or shorter mileage, 100 miles to England down the A77, A76. Maybe even there and back?

OP
OP
M

magnatom

arallsopp said:
Depending where in Glasgow you are, Thurso is 'only' 276 miles away by A82 / A9.
That's a (calendar) day's ride, and is (presumably) something that even non riders can get their heads around.

Or shorter mileage, 100 miles to England down the A77, A76. Maybe even there and back?

Hmmm. My in-laws live in Lancashire (not far from Blackpool). Glasgow to Blackpool in a day? Hmmm. ;)

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Paris - Brest - Paris in 2011.

It's got everything to appeal to sponsors including history, reputation and catch phrases such as mostest, biggest, no sleep (est?), etc.

There's plenty of time to get ready for it.

And it's really good fun!

OP
OP
M

magnatom

So how about this then. This would be my home (approximate) to in-laws (approxmate) challenge. Approximately 190 miles.

Is this doable in a day?

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
magnatom said:
So how about this then. This would be my home (approximate) to in-laws (approxmate) challenge. Approximately 190 miles.

Is this doable in a day?

And back again the following day ? ;)

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
magnatom said:

Is this doable in a day?
If your friends/work colleagues etc think it is NOT doable in a day - then That's It ! You've got your challenge :smile: .... and some decent sponsorsheep too ;)

However ...... if they don't :sad:

I would say it is doable for you but not sure if your camera batteries would last the whole journey :biggrin:

wyno70

Any chance you could make it 2 days, or even a 24 hour challenge??

If so, howabout John O'Groats to your home, approx 270 miles I think (seeing as you are in Glasgow), so definately doable as either (although 24 hours may be stretching it!!). If you set off sat am, you could be home Sunday pm.

It'd certainly be challenging and has the big name in it to 'woo' your sponsors.

Well done by the way, I found myself in similar circumstances this year and having recently been made redundant, had some time to do John O'Groats to Lands End in 8 days and raised over £1600, which I was very pleased with.

If you did the above, you could have an estimated eta for arriving back home and get a massive welcome party. It's certainly be a fantastic emotional end for you, given the reasons that you want to do it! Just a thought!

OP
OP
M

magnatom

wyno70 said:
Any chance you could make it 2 days, or even a 24 hour challenge??

If so, howabout John O'Groats to your home, approx 270 miles I think (seeing as you are in Glasgow), so definately doable as either (although 24 hours may be stretching it!!). If you set off sat am, you could be home Sunday pm.

It'd certainly be challenging and has the big name in it to 'woo' your sponsors.

Well done by the way, I found myself in similar circumstances this year and having recently been made redundant, had some time to do John O'Groats to Lands End in 8 days and raised over £1600, which I was very pleased with.

If you did the above, you could have an estimated eta for arriving back home and get a massive welcome party. It's certainly be a fantastic emotional end for you, given the reasons that you want to do it! Just a thought!

I can see where you are coming from, however, I think it would almost be a let down to have JOG at the start and not have LE at the end!

The idea of doing a home to home challenge is growing on me and an early start would certainly be a good idea meaning I would have time for food stops etc.

Ideally I'd like to carry the minimum and to refuel on the way, i.e. shops cafes etc, a credit card mini day tour I suppose (without the sightseeing!)

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Not sure if it happens now, but the population of Blackpool used to turn Glaswegian for a couple of weeks in the summer - this may be back in the days when all the factory workers had their two weeks' summer hols at the same time.

So Glasgow --> Blackpool does have a certain historical significance (your in-laws could pick you up to save you having to cycle to their place from Blackpool - on the other had, Wiggo cycled home from Blackpool after the ToB leg....!)

If you do the G-B route - don't go through Lancaster - there are lots of nice country lanes, not too hilly, to by-pass the built-up bits.

Top Bottom