I'm looking for a challange

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wyno70

Magnatom, I did something similar for my JOGLE. As well as getting people to sponsor me, I ran a sweepstake to guess the total time the ride would take me (in minutes) from start to finish. Winner took 50% with the other 50% going to the charity.

It boosted the coffers by over £100 and got a lot of people involved that otherwise wouldn't have sponsored me. In fact, even a lot of the people that had already sponsored me, had a go at the sweepstake as well, as by that stage they were very interested in what I was doing. I made it £5 a guess.

I'm doing an Ironman next year and will probably do the same for that.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

wyno70 said:
Magnatom, I did something similar for my JOGLE. As well as getting people to sponsor me, I ran a sweepstake to guess the total time the ride would take me (in minutes) from start to finish. Winner took 50% with the other 50% going to the charity.

It boosted the coffers by over £100 and got a lot of people involved that otherwise wouldn't have sponsored me. In fact, even a lot of the people that had already sponsored me, had a go at the sweepstake as well, as by that stage they were very interested in what I was doing. I made it £5 a guess.

I'm doing an Ironman next year and will probably do the same for that.

Aye a book on total time is a good idea. I'll certainly do that. I might need to set up an internet site! I wonder if fromhometotheinlaws.co.uk is free? :ohmy:

I'm down at the in-laws today. Drove down last night. It put into perspective how far 190 miles is! :smile:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
magnatom said:
Aye a book on total time is a good idea. I'll certainly do that. I might need to set up an internet site! I wonder if fromhometotheinlaws.co.uk is free? :birthday:

I'm down at the in-laws today. Drove down last night. It put into perspective how far 190 miles is! :smile:
Aye but it's probably quicker by bike :biggrin: :cheers:

You could run 2 books - Total Time and Actual Riding Time - or is that getting too complicated ?

OP
OP
M

magnatom

scoosh said:
Aye but it's probably quicker by bike :becool: :smile:

You could run 2 books - Total Time and Actual Riding Time - or is that getting too complicated ?

Not sure. I need to sit down and think of a strategy. I might even look into getting a website set up to co-ordinate it, although it's not something I have done before.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
magnatom said:
The distance would certainly be a challenge, but the thing that will draw in donations will be the hills.

The man wants a challenge (and he fancies wearing the CC polka dot jersey) so I have the perfect ride, the Ötztaler Radmarathon, now that would give him bragging rights (OK so that is a bit of flaw). Do that one I would definitely sponsor you Mags... ;)

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
HJ said:
The man wants a challenge (and he fancies wearing the CC polka dot jersey) so I have the perfect ride, the Ötztaler Radmarathon, now that would give him bragging rights (OK so that is a bit of flaw). Do that one I would definitely sponsor you Mags... ;)
Oh No you wouldn't - you couldn't afford it :laugh:

tradesecrets

magnatom said:
Unfortunately my mother died just over a month ago from MND. During her illness she received amazing support from both MND Scotland and the hospice she attended (Accord Hospice, Paisley).

So I want to do something to say thank-you to them. I want a cycling challenge.

This year I managed two sportives, the Rapha Condor Blackpool sportive which was about 85 miles (though very badly organised) and the Trossachs Ton which was just over 100 miles (very well organised).

So I am looking to up the ante this year. I'm reasonably fit (did the Ton with an average speed of 16.5mph) and hopefully with extra training this year I will be fitter still.

So what sportives would you suggest? What sportives are tough enough to encourage people to sponsor me? Of course I would need to be able to finish it, so nothing too crazy!:biggrin:

Ideally I'd like to keep it in Scotland if possible.

Cut a long story short you want to do a charity bike ride ..

It's easy enough done get yourself sponsored by local business's and those you work with ...

Plan your route get it sorted and show em ,, and if possible yer wantin others to join you ..

OP
OP
M

magnatom

HJ said:
The man wants a challenge (and he fancies wearing the CC polka dot jersey) so I have the perfect ride, the Ötztaler Radmarathon, now that would give him bragging rights (OK so that is a bit of flaw). Do that one I would definitely sponsor you Mags... :smile:

:ohmy:

Aye,

I've seen that before. Certainly one for a few years time, when I have the time, money and a new pair of legs/lungs etc!

OP
OP
M

magnatom

tradesecrets said:
Cut a long story short you want to do a charity bike ride ..

It's easy enough done get yourself sponsored by local business's and those you work with ...

Plan your route get it sorted and show em ,, and if possible yer wantin others to join you ..

Indeed. But, itsthe background story to why I am doing it that might encourage people to sponsor me, so I didn't want to cut the story too short.

I'm not sure I need much sponsorship from local businesses, as I have pretty much everything I need to do it already (except for a fit body!). Mind you, if anyone wants to provide me with a carbon road bike and a helmet camera that would film the whole ride (to be edited of course!).....:smile:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

So I've gone and bought a turbo trainer with my Christmas money! :eek:
(Tacx Sartori). So that will let me get some miles in when the weather is bad (i.e. icy), and will mean I won't be disappearing off into the hills when child number 3 is here (I'll just disappear into the garage!).

I will of course be commadeering our fan and a stereo to keep me cool and amused! ;)

So I am still on track for 190 miles in the summer, especially now I am commuting 20 miles a day.....

Top Bottom