I'm Not Trusting Technology Again, Learned The Hard Way...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I've come on holiday to Lanzarote, I always love reading and chilling out. I bring my 9 year old basic Kindle. Anyway when I got it out to read the screen is broken. Only half of it is working. It was fine when I set off. So now I have nothing to read. Or use the app on a phone, not the same. I'll have a look in the local shops. Probably end up reading some total crap..

In going to buy a new one. But the next time I go away anyway I'm going to bring a couple of proper books as a backup. You just cannot trust electronics..

Just a warning to others I guess. Can't beat a proper book, it just can't fail, can it? Unless it catches fire...

Are those new paper white kindles worth the cash? I'm not a huge reader. Or is there another independent brand that doesn't tie you to the big "A"...?

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Get along to a charity shop for some cheap paperbacks :smile:

I use a Kobo because it's not linked to Amazon & because I can download library books to it. Have never paid for an e-book for it :smile:

Oh, and I got it second-hand after my previous second-hand one died.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
You could trust the kindle but not when the screen was broken. It wasnt the electronics that let you down, but something else that bashed against the Kindle and broke it.

I love my kindle. I am on my second one. Excellent value and much better than books that weigh a ton and take up so much space and gather dust.

I would never go back to buying a paper book. ^_^

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You could trust the kindle but not when the screen was broken. It wasnt the electronics that let you down, but something else that bashed against the Kindle and broke it.
Indeed!

I bought my Samsung tablet in 2012 and it is still working perfectly. Mind you, before it even arrived I spent £20 on a good quality flip cover for it to make sure that it would be well protected. The cover itself has taken a battering and now needs two elastic bands to keep the tablet in place, but the cover has done its job - the only damage on the tablet is a worn patch on the metal plating on the on/off switch.

welsh dragon

Indeed!

I bought my Samsung tablet in 2012 and it is still working perfectly. Mind you, before it even arrived I spent £20 on a good quality flip cover for it to make sure that it would be well protected. The cover itself has taken a battering and now needs two elastic bands to keep the tablet in place, but the cover has done its job - the only damage on the tablet is a worn patch on the metal plating on the on/off switch.

Indeed. I have a Samsung Tab as well and often use it to read books that I buy from the Google store. And I have a cover on it as well.

ColinJ

Indeed. I have a Samsung Tab as well and often use it to read books that I buy from the Google store. And I have a cover on it as well.
The only problem with my Galaxy Tab is that it still running the 'Ice Cream Sandwich' version of Android and a lot of apps will not work with that. I will probably put a more modern version on at some point; there is a lot of information on XDA explaining how to do it.

OP
OP
Cletus Van Damme

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Lol. I didn't bang it. I was careful. It's immaculate for its age. I'm always going to bring a paper book now. I can't complain I've had it for ages.

I've had a look in the local mini market all I could see in English was a book by Jeffrey Archer. So I think I'll go without..

I'm not into tablets. I always preferred the basic kindle. No reflections in the sun, easy on the eyes, just like a normal book..

Globalti

Legendary Member
Learn Spanish while you're there and then you'll be able to read local books.

Or if you can't do that, buy a cheap Spanish novel and leave it on your sun lounger to impress other guests with your ability to read Spanish.

ColinJ

I'm not into tablets. I always preferred the basic kindle. No reflections in the sun, easy on the eyes, just like a normal book..
You are right about using glossy screens outdoors. My Tab's backlight is not bright enough in sunny conditions, and reflections off the screen make it almost unusable even on overcast days. Indoor use only!

vickster

Legendary Member
I’ve just joined a library after about 15 years of not using one...they have loads of books...for free ;)

I’m not a great reader, on trains (I’ve just started commuting again), planes, holiday. Normally just buy a couple of books for £7 or £8 at supermarket and either pass to my dad who’s an avid reader or local charity shops

Not keen on reading on a screen, spend enough time doing that!

welsh dragon

I've come on holiday to Lanzarote, I always love reading and chilling out. I bring my 9 year old basic Kindle. Anyway when I got it out to read the screen is broken. Only half of it is working. It was fine when I set off. So now I have nothing to read. Or use the app on a phone, not the same. I'll have a look in the local shops. Probably end up reading some total crap..

In going to buy a new one. But the next time I go away anyway I'm going to bring a couple of proper books as a backup. You just cannot trust electronics..

Just a warning to others I guess. Can't beat a proper book, it just can't fail, can it? Unless it catches fire...

Are those new paper white kindles worth the cash? I'm not a huge reader. Or is there another independent brand that doesn't tie you to the big "A"...?

You can read kindle books and Kobo AND Google books on ANY android tablet. I can read books from all of them on Samsung tablet. Any tablet will do the same thing

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member

I love my kindle. I am on my second one. Excellent value and much better than books that weigh a ton and take up so much space and gather dust.

I would never go back to buying a paper book. ^_^
Each to there own, but I have a Kindle gathering dust somewhere as I just could not get on with it. I much prefer paper books and the way to keep storage space controllable is to be ruthless with old books you are never likely to read again. Charity shops, give to friends or just dump.

Top Bottom