I'm thinking about getting a German Shepherd

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I would have thought the Jack Russell cross would be a bigger deterrent - they only need to bark to alert the owner.

I also thought GSD's were great pets generally, just 'BIG'. They really don't deserve the reputation. Thing is, any rescue dog will have problems that you would need to work out. You'd also be best if you could introduce your dog to the 'potential' one at a rescue centre before making a decision.

We'd love a dog, especially as the two older cats are no longer with us, but the big bruiser might not be too happy :okay:

View attachment 114997
:wub:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQGtTLTJUyj3QS_kwWHqo97p_7PeldoEILboNE02SJn22Yd6_Nj.jpg

raleighnut

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4088648, member: 9609"]Thankfully having guard dogs roaming loose in scrap yards and coal yards seems to be a thing of the past, or at least I am unaware of it where i live now. And if I did see it I would make the RSPCA aware and hope that they would ensure they were being correctly looked after.[/QUOTE]
As long as the dog has shelter from the weather, clean water and is not underweight then the RSPCA/SSPCA won't/can't do anything. :sad:

Levo-Lon

Guru
Reminds me of the guy with the Bentley..
he parked up in liverpool ,he was quickley approached by 4 youths...
they said £50 to guard the car Sir....

have you seen the 2 Rottweilers in the back..the car dont need protecting..

can they put fires out ??

Levo-Lon

Guru
considder a bigger dog if you feel threatened..but some crooks with dog baiting habits will attack you for the bloody dog..fooked up world im affraid..

SD1

All gaurd dogs at the maze were German Shepherds (or versions of one! ). But you want it to protect you outside the home? Anything that looks scary will do. BUT alas it should not wag it's tail at ever body. So in your case you need an aggressive dog which is pulling you i.e. not at heel (it looks aggressive)
Umm you are in quandary. You obviously don't want a dog which Is actually aggressive just one who looks aggressive but will protect you if required to. Luck may get you the right dog if not a lot of training.
Get a taxi?

Staffys are as soft as shite but look the part.
"Staffordshire Bull Terrier is known for its character of fearlessness and loyalty.[10] This, coupled with its affection for its friends, its off-duty quietness and trustworthy stability, make it a foremost all-purpose dog.[11]

The breed is naturally muscular and may appear intimidating; however, because of their natural fondness for people, most Staffords are temperamentally ill-suited for guard or attack-dog training"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staffordshire_Bull_Terrier

Last edited:

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Maybe i didn't explain myself properly. It's not a fear of being burgled as this area is virtually burglar free.:smile: I want one for when i walk out at night time, or if there are some undesirables outside intent on causing trouble.
A German Shepherd is a good choice of dog both as a pet and a guard dog, they become very protective of their owners very quickly if treated right. I have two GSD and am very confident should anyone with bad intentions were to approach me or mine uninvited they would get plenty of vocal warning from my dogs with the potential to get bitten if they persisted.

The dog laws have changed quite dramatically regards dogs in public places and dogs out of control etc but if your dog protects you or your family from attack / burglary on your private property you are within your rights. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...-What-pet-owners-need-to-know-from-today.html

My Two dogs
DSCF2488.JPG

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Maybe i didn't explain myself properly. It's not a fear of being burgled as this area is virtually burglar free.:smile: I want one for when i walk out at night time, or if there are some undesirables outside intent on causing trouble.

Have you thought of the possibility that you might become viewed as an undesirable, intent on causing trouble if you are parading around the streets with a GSD on a leash?

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Have you thought of the possibility that you might become viewed as an undesirable, intent on causing trouble if you are parading around the streets with a GSD on a leash?

I don't think so. Maybe many years ago when i was young the undesirables had German Shepherds which were then called Alsatians. They didn't have them on leads which scared the public,but now they have American Bulldogs and "Staffie" types off the leads scaring the public.
I haven't seen a dodgy looking type with a German Shepherd in a very long time. Maybe they can't afford them or they think their Bulldogs are "harder"? The ones i see now with German Shepherds are mostly middle aged men or couples.

Last edited:

steve50

Disenchanted Member
why should anyone be considered "undesirable" just because they walk with a German shepherd or a Rottweiler or a labradoodle or a great dane or any breed of dog for that matter????

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
why should anyone be considered "undesirable" just because they walk with a German shepherd or a Rottweiler or a labradoodle or a great dane or any breed of dog for that matter????

Great Danes are gentle giants. There's one on my round. I climb over the high fence to get to the windows, it barks like billyo but doesn't come near me. The only thing to watch out for are its dumps, if you get one of those on your shoes you're in trouble!:ohmy: xx(

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
You sound like the bloke doing the radio phone in i've just turned off. He thinks all dogs are bad because he got bit by one when he was younger!:rolleyes:

I didn't say that I wasn't fond of dogs....

I am my neighbour's pooch's favourite playmate.

You need to be careful with your assumptions. :okay:

Top Bottom