I'm thinking about getting a German Shepherd

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
When I saw the title of the post, all I thought about was some guy with lederhosen and a smock.
Don't forget that green pointy hat with the pheasant feather.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
If you want to feel safe out walking, you need a Jack Russell. Anyone who approaches me, while out walking, does so at their own peril. She's on a short lead but she's not very user friendly. She'll walk past people quite happily but I don't trust her an inch. In the house, with us, she's a happy, well adjusted, wonderful, affectionate, cuddly little princess. With strangers or out of the house, she will rip your arm off and beat you to death with the wet end. We love her very much.

I've worked with dogs for decades, the only time I have been bitten, when the dog meant business, was by a JRT. I've been nipped by quite a few dogs, over the years, but there is real intent when a Jack sinks their teething in to you.

Rescue GSDs are lovely dogs, if you know what you are doing. There is an awful lot of dog there if you have a nervy, sharp one. My Dad bred GSDs and, over the years, we've had loads of them. They are fine with small dogs too. It's sighthounds that are not so great with small dogs. There are a lot of scumbuckets out there who will mug you for your dog. Especially bigger ones.

Rather than getting a dog as a protective measure, have you considered a self defense course? Fun to do and teach you practical skills.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Get one of these:

Pepper-Spray.jpg

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Sounds like a stupid reason to be getting a dog as far as I'm concerned. However, have you considered the consequences of you wandering the streets with your big hard looking dog on the lead whilst there are others that;
now they have American Bulldogs and "Staffie" types off the leads scaring the public.
How do you think you and your doggy are going to get on if one of these other dogs decides it wants to have a go? Are you going to carry a big stick to try to prise them apart or are you going to leave them to it and hope your dog doesn't get chewed up too badly?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
If Cycle Chat was a real life situation
cuckoo3.jpg
Not enough cripples though. :whistle:

steve50

Disenchanted Member
I don't think so. Maybe many years ago when i was young the undesirables had German Shepherds which were then called Alsatians. They didn't have them on leads which scared the public,but now they have American Bulldogs and "Staffie" types off the leads scaring the public.
I haven't seen a dodgy looking type with a German Shepherd in a very long time. Maybe they can't afford them or they think their Bulldogs are "harder"? The ones i see now with German Shepherds are mostly middle aged men or couples.

There is no such thing as an Alsation, the name alsation was introduced during the 1st world war when anything with the name "German" was frowned upon. German shepherds originated in a town on the German borders called Alsace, when war broke out it was decided the name German shepherd was not acceptable , so changed the name to Alsation. http://www.germanshepherdrescue.co.uk/german-shepherd-history-i-150.html

Last edited by a moderator:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
There is no such thing as an Alsation, the name alsation was introduced during the 1st world war when anything with the name "German" was frowned upon. German shepherds originated in a town on the German borders called Alsace, when war broke out it was decided the name German shepherd was not acceptable , so changed the name to Alsation. http://www.germanshepherdrescue.co.uk/german-shepherd-history-i-150.html
German Shepherds
220px-German_Shepherd_Dog_with_disc.jpg
The breeding program that created the German Shepherd included wolfdogs
Among the dogs used in the development of the German Shepherd, at least four were either wolfdogs or partly descended from wolfdogs. In 1899, Max von Stephanitz, an ex-cavalry captain and former student of the Berlin Veterinary College, was attending a dog show when he was shown a dog named Hektor Linksrhein, who was allegedly one-quarter wolf. Renamed Horand von Grafrath, the dog and his progeny were used to create the German Shepherd. Horand became the centre-point of the breeding programs and was bred with dogs belonging to other society members that displayed desirable traits. Although fathering many pups, Horand's most successful was Hektor von Schwaben.[16] Hektor was line bred with another of Horand's offspring and produced Beowulf, who later fathered a total of eighty-four pups, mostly through being line bred with Hektor's other offspring. In the original German Shepherd studbook, Zuchtbuch für Deutsche Schäferhunde (SZ), within the two pages of entries from SZ No. 41 to SZ No. 76, there are four wolf crosses.[17] This is the first documented use of pure wolf genes to create a domestic dog breed, the German Shepherd, which is historically thought to be the first documented intentionally-bred wolfdog.

My view for what it's worth.

Burglar deterrent - dog needs to be loud. Doesn't matter about being big. Yappy not so good. My springer is soft, looks soft, but sounds ferocious whenever anyone knocks the door, and would really scare most burglars off. I always tell people that a loud dog is the best burglar deterrent you can get.

But you want one for walking the streets. Hmm. Is it really, really that bad by you? It's not a good reason to get a dog - dogs require time, effort, discipline, love - that's a LOT of work needed if you really only want to scare away undesirables, and the end result is likely to be you and the dog regretting your choice.

If that's the ONLY reason, then I wouldn't advise a dog.

If however, the main thing is you want a dog, and were willing to put all the work in that goes with it regardless... Then yes, the benefit of a (even a friendly, sociable) GSD is that it would make you less of a target for that <1% of people that MAY decide to target you at that precise moment. Robbers pick targets of opportunity.

But please, please, please - if that's the main reason... Don't do it. Spend the money on a monthly membership to the gym, go daily, pump iron and get ripped. It'll be less work for you in the long run.

vickster

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4095024, member: 259"]We met a family of seven two-month old Alsation pups being taken for their first walk in the woods recently and I could have bought all of them.:wub:

Anyone else remember when all pub landlords wore sheepskin jackets and had an Alsation called Prince?[/QUOTE]
My dad was a pub landlord, had an Alsatian called Rennie. It had to be sedated on fireworks, so terrified was he (this was before I was born, so in the early 70s maybe he had a sheepskin coat)

Top Bottom