I'm thinking about getting a German Shepherd

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Low and behold i had one last night. There i was walking out a shop with my little dog under my arm when this bulldog type came running over, either wanting to be "friendly" or to try and get at my dog. The owner came out with the usual he's friendly stuff but it then started circling us. I kept on walking and the owner made a half - hearted attempt to put the thing on a lead, but it wasn't having it so i back heeled it.
That was it! She blew her top and started calling me cruel for "kicking her dog".
I tried to explain that her dog was out of control but she wasn't having it. I think the stupid chav was hoping i'd back down and succumb to her dog intimidation tactics.
She then approached me in a menacing way so i pushed her over with my walking pole and went on my way. I'd like to think i was right to defend myself against such lowlifes.
I was told this week that it was my fault a dog went for me at work. The reason? I was wearing hi-viz, the dog (obviously) always goes for people in hi-viz. Duh. That will be my mistake then.

Its a waste of time trying to talk sense to certain dog owners.

stephec

Legendary Member
I was told this week that it was my fault a dog went for me at work. The reason? I was wearing hi-viz, the dog (obviously) always goes for people in hi-viz. Duh. That will be my mistake then.

Were you wearing a helmet as well?

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member

The silly cow i pushed over must've thought "Tyson" would've pounced on me. Instead it just stood there doing nothing. I don't blame the dogs for being what they are ,or what the owners would like them to be. I just blame the owners for being the lowest of the low!

Dog owners who cannot control or handle their dogs are not dog lovers in my book. The blame for putting a dog down for an attack must sit with the owner and no one else. Why do we take it out on the dog. I know of dog owners who despite their best efforts find it difficult to control their dog and so have them on a leash.

Dog owners also must realise that some folks have a genuine fear of dogs and will go into a state of near panic. Making statements such as "he won't bite" suggest poor understanding.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Dog owners who cannot control or handle their dogs are not dog lovers in my book. The blame for putting a dog down for an attack must sit with the owner and no one else. Why do we take it out on the dog. I know of dog owners who despite their best efforts find it difficult to control their dog and so have them on a leash.

Dog owners also must realise that some folks have a genuine fear of dogs and will go into a state of near panic. Making statements such as "he won't bite" suggest poor understanding.

"He's only being friendly" doesn't wash! He might be friendly but a big dog jumping up at you can knock you off balance, mess your clothing and as you say cause fear to those who don't like or trust dogs. Usually when you wont accept their "he's only being friendly" and ask them to control the dog their attitude changes to one of "so you're calling me a liar are you"?! It's definitely a form of intimidation to have a dangerous looking dog off a lead. Would we accept idiots walking round with a knife or a baseball bat with nails in it?! No we wouldn't but we have to put up with an animal that can rip your arm open or kill your smaller dog! If i was to walk round with a metal bar to protect me and my little dog the police would pull me over, but i've lost count of the times i've seen them drive past some idiot with "Tyson" off a lead and folk giving the owner and the dog a wide berth as they fear for their safety!

I've just remembered! I did once see a copper giving a chav a long lecture about his dogs being off a lead. Unfortunately the following week the chav was walking his dogs off their leads again!

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Low and behold i had one last night. There i was walking out a shop with my little dog under my arm when this bulldog type came running over, either wanting to be "friendly" or to try and get at my dog. The owner came out with the usual he's friendly stuff but it then started circling us. I kept on walking and the owner made a half - hearted attempt to put the thing on a lead, but it wasn't having it so i back heeled it.
That was it! She blew her top and started calling me cruel for "kicking her dog".
I tried to explain that her dog was out of control but she wasn't having it. I think the stupid chav was hoping i'd back down and succumb to her dog intimidation tactics.
She then approached me in a menacing way so i pushed her over with my walking pole and went on my way. I'd like to think i was right to defend myself against such lowlifes.
Are you sure that your neighbours aren't getting dogs to protect themselves from you?

London Female

Über Member
"He's only being friendly" doesn't wash! He might be friendly but a big dog jumping up at you can knock you off balance, mess your clothing and as you say cause fear to those who don't like or trust dogs. Usually when you wont accept their "he's only being friendly" and ask them to control the dog their attitude changes to one of "so you're calling me a liar are you"?! It's definitely a form of intimidation to have a dangerous looking dog off a lead. Would we accept idiots walking round with a knife or a baseball bat with nails in it?! No we wouldn't but we have to put up with an animal that can rip your arm open or kill your smaller dog! If i was to walk round with a metal bar to protect me and my little dog the police would pull me over, but i've lost count of the times i've seen them drive past some idiot with "Tyson" off a lead and folk giving the owner and the dog a wide berth as they fear for their safety!

I've just remembered! I did once see a copper giving a chav a long lecture about his dogs being off a lead. Unfortunately the following week the chav was walking his dogs off their leads again!

But in your original post you didn't say the dog jumped up at you, knocked you off your balance, messed your clothes, ripped your arm off or killed your small dog!

Perhaps I have missed something but it does seem you were the only one who committed any kind of assault.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Sounds like its the night of the long knives..or should that be leads.. @Accy cyclist
have fun

vickster

Legendary Member
What were you actually defending yourself against when you kicked the dog and assaulted this,woman? If you were under threat, why didn't you go back into the shop and call the police?

midlife

Guru
Our dog is part of the family, shares the house, goes on holiday with us etc...........i don't think the dog thinks that she is a dog :smile:

Shaun

Top Bottom