I'm thinking about getting a German Shepherd

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The area around here is getting a little too rough. I've thought about security cameras and police calls but i don't think this deters the undesirables. I think there are a few on here who either own or have owned such a dog in the past? I already have a small dog, so my main concern is would my little Jack Russell/ Shih Tzu be safe with a bigger dog? I don't work as many hours as i used to so time spent with the dog wouldn't be a problem. I have my eye on a rescue dog, i don't want to spend hundreds and hundreds on a puppy and there are so many dogs in homes that need a new home!

Globalti

Legendary Member
If you will be leaving the dog all day, it will be bored and lonely and will probably bark and annoy your neighbours. When you take it out for its twice-daily walk and toilet your house will be exposed to burglary. Why not spend the money on better security or move to somewhere better?

Brandane

Legendary Member
This needs less looking after...........

bat-nails.png

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Good idea getting a dog from a rescue centre. Just take some care when choosing to get the background information on the chosen one. Most dogs will get on with other dogs in the house, but watch out for problems with your terrier/cross as it may try to be the dominate dog as the sitting tenant.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Don't.

A rescue GSD is going to be a rescue dog because its not right for the owner. It may be the owner's fault or the dog might be a nightmare. It takes months and months of expert training to turn a GSD into a safe security dog from puppyhood, and not all of them make the grade. If you take on a reject I suspect you won't have the expertise to turn it around from where it is now to where you want it to be. They're large, powerful dogs and a massive responsibility in anybody's hands. A novice taking on a potential nightmare is a recipe for disaster.

Licramite

Über Member
Oh sorry from the title I thought you had a problem with sheep.
chances are a small barky dog would do just as well, - I don't see how getting a big aggressive (if you train it right) dog is going t make your life easier.
I would buy a home security system - the little box outside and the odd camera will put off the local scrotts. -

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
My neighbor has a GSD, they are only as good as their training, according to him. They are naturally loyal but not naturally guard dogs. My rescue dogs have all been protective, probably because they appreciate us getting them out of that shelter. I currently have a Harrier that is a great guard dog. Good lighting and maybe a home security system would be a better option than adding a dog just for protection. Even a fake home security camera is better than none at all.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
[QUOTE 4088265, member: 9609"]
I knew a bloke with a scrap yard, he used to have two or three Alsations that would roam the yard at night time, they were seriously scary beasts, he used to train them when they were young by leaving them by themselves in the yard, he would then get a stranger to come in and beat them to within an inch - once that had happened to them a couple of times, the dogs did not welcome strangers.[/QUOTE]
NICE guy! :thumbsdown:

vickster

Legendary Member
Better locks, security lights and a burglar alarm would be cheaper

Or move as someone suggested, also probably cheaper than feeding, insuring a large dog, paying a dog walker etc for 10+ years

Globalti

Legendary Member
I used to visit a Hungarian guy who had a warehouse full of valuable goods in a ropey part of Budapest. In one corner was a stinking, filthy cage containing a very large baboon, which he let out at night. I don't suppose he had many burglaries.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I used to visit a Hungarian guy who had a warehouse full of valuable goods in a ropey part of Budapest. In one corner was a stinking, filthy cage containing a very large baboon, which he let out at night. I don't suppose he had many burglaries.
This reminds me of a certain night chez Miss Goodbody. The Vicar still can't watch Tarzan without shaking.

Top Bottom