I'm thinking about getting a German Shepherd

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
ok...Staffies....soft as newly laid cow pats...end of. We have a staffie cross who goes absolutely ballistic when the window cleaner comes round....not barking, but crying and yammering for attention. He actually uses his toys in the same motion that the window cleaner uses the squeegie in an attempt to mimic him. It's farkling hilaroius. He mugs the postie and robs him of treats too.

I am not a dog owner, due to the fact I don't have the time and resources to care for one properly.
I have to go into peoples houses as part of my job and have had some very hairy moments with their "wouldn't hurt a fly" dogs.
Anybody who uses a dog as some sort of shield or a weapon should be put in jail.
If I wandered the streets of Liverpool brandishing a chainsaw for my own protection I don't think plod would let me get too far. Yet if I choose a couple of stone of dog, capable of killing, that's OK?
My two youngest kids were knocked to the ground by a staffy, while its owners enjoyed a spliff on the grass in the park, but that's OK coz "he doesn't bite." He only had to bite once and I could have lost a child.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
My view for what it's worth.

Burglar deterrent - dog needs to be loud. Doesn't matter about being big. Yappy not so good. My springer is soft, looks soft, but sounds ferocious whenever anyone knocks the door, and would really scare most burglars off. I always tell people that a loud dog is the best burglar deterrent you can get.

But you want one for walking the streets. Hmm. Is it really, really that bad by you? It's not a good reason to get a dog - dogs require time, effort, discipline, love - that's a LOT of work needed if you really only want to scare away undesirables, and the end result is likely to be you and the dog regretting your choice.

If that's the ONLY reason, then I wouldn't advise a dog.

If however, the main thing is you want a dog, and were willing to put all the work in that goes with it regardless... Then yes, the benefit of a (even a friendly, sociable) GSD is that it would make you less of a target for that <1% of people that MAY decide to target you at that precise moment. Robbers pick targets of opportunity.

But please, please, please - if that's the main reason... Don't do it. Spend the money on a monthly membership to the gym, go daily, pump iron and get ripped. It'll be less work for you in the long run.

Mmm, do you think that being pumped up deters being attacked? I've seen "big lads" attacked by a group because the ones doing the attacking want to test themselves against formidable opposition. I was 14 stone with a 45 inch chest and pumped up biceps years ago. Granted it might've deterred some nutters but it also attracted them. Besides,i'm 55 years old, blind in one eye and metal plates in my face. I don't want to be having to fight off some idiot, that's why a dog seeing them off on my behalf appeals to me.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I am not a dog owner, due to the fact I don't have the time and resources to care for one properly.
I have to go into peoples houses as part of my job and have had some very hairy moments with their "wouldn't hurt a fly" dogs.
Anybody who uses a dog as some sort of shield or a weapon should be put in jail.
If I wandered the streets of Liverpool brandishing a chainsaw for my own protection I don't think plod would let me get too far. Yet if I choose a couple of stone of dog, capable of killing, that's OK?
My two youngest kids were knocked to the ground by a staffy, while its owners enjoyed a spliff on the grass in the park, but that's OK coz "he doesn't bite." He only had to bite once and I could have lost a child.

"Anybody who uses a dog as some sort of shield or a weapon should be put in jail."

To use a dog as a weapon is wrong, but to use a dog as a shield to protect themselves. Does that make them a criminal?

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
There's a big difference. People using dogs to intimidate/threaten is totally indefensible, but people having dogs at least in part for protection can be entirely understandable, and certainly no reason for their incarceration.

"Anybody who uses a dog as some sort of shield or a weapon should be put in jail."

To use a dog as a weapon is wrong, but to use a dog as a shield to protect themselves. Does that make them a criminal?
Not having a go at you. I just put the point that if you have a dog to protect you from attack, what happens if a couple of kids run up to you and the dog sees if as potentially threatening?
I'm not a dog hater, but hate a lot of dog owners who think having some snarling, dangerous animal intimidating people is OK.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Not having a go at you. I just put the point that if you have a dog to protect you from attack, what happens if a couple of kids run up to you and the dog sees if as potentially threatening?
I'm not a dog hater, but hate a lot of dog owners who think having some snarling, dangerous animal intimidating people is OK.

I think there's more chance of children running up to my 11 pound in weight Jack Russell/Shih Tzu than a scary German Shepherd.:okay:
24bb6faf312f7b1b69b03bc922217635.jpg

irw

Quadricyclist
If Cycle Chat was a real life situation
cuckoo3.jpg
Naaah...they can't be from Cycle Chat...none of them are wearing helmets! :whistle:

vickster

Legendary Member
If you and your family want a GSD and have the time and resources to walk, feed and care for a big dog, get one. A big responsibility though. do your research around the types of medical conditions they can suffer for example and get it insured which will probably be £50 a month on top of food, routine vet bills etc

Do you have a decent sized garden? Access to large areas for exercising etc. The needs are different to little pooch (my cat is way bigger :biggrin:)

Last edited:
Mmm, do you think that being pumped up deters being attacked? .

I was more trying to hammer home that it would be less time and effort to turn yourself into the Hulk, than to get a dog toy don't really want.

If you want a dog anyway, and want to put that effort in - do so.

If you only want one for the deterrent, then don't.

My advice in a nutshell.

SD1

There is no such thing as an Alsation, the name alsation was introduced during the 1st world war when anything with the name "German" was frowned upon. German shepherds originated in a town on the German borders called Alsace, when war broke out it was decided the name German shepherd was not acceptable , so changed the name to Alsation. http://www.germanshepherdrescue.co.uk/german-shepherd-history-i-150.html
And people from Alsace got a hump on because they are called alsations. Alsace/Lorraine was German at the time? It changes hands depending on who wins the latest German French war.

vickster

Legendary Member
Bollocks! You can get 5 dogs (if not more) insured for £50. What are you insuring it for? Vet call out for nettle stings? For period pains?
My brothers dog has had both ACLs reconstructed. They pay that much monthly. Location (London) ups the cost too. Where are you based?

SD1

He is paying that much because the dog has a long term medical condition. I have just insured my Springer for £8.90 a week.
If I had taken out a life time insurance I think it would have cost me £14 a month till she died....don't quote me on that.

Top Bottom