I'm toying with the notion of buying an Audi A4

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Instead of an Audi why not go for a VW Passat? There's a reason why it's the best selling mid sized saloon of all time. I can fit 3 bikes and 3 adults easily inside my Passat estate and it goes without the embarrassment of being a BMW, Audi or Merc.

More spacious in front than the A4 too and with a better view of the road.

vickster

Legendary Member
An Audi knocked me off in 2014. I’d not have one.
I have had a Skoda Fabia 1.4 tsi vrs dsg estate for over 5 years though. Cracking car. In your position, I’d get the Octavia

Mrs M

Guru
142F3B57-2B68-4291-A55E-E470C22051F1.jpeg
A 1.4 TFSI Sport Estate, to be exact.

However, being a cyclist, it's a bit of a dilemma. Especially given that 8/10 of the near misses I have whilst cycling involve Audis.

It's difficult for me to get past the "c**k rings" thing. What say the good people of CycleChat?
Go for it if that’s what you want :smile:
Never mind what anyone else thinks.
My close passes were with a Renault and a Merc
Mr M loves his latest A4 :wub:

Mrs M

Guru
Indeed it was a red one that knocked me off ;)
Oops, not guilty :blush:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
A 1.4 TFSI Sport Estate, to be exact.

However, being a cyclist, it's a bit of a dilemma. Especially given that 8/10 of the near misses I have whilst cycling involve Audis.

It's difficult for me to get past the "c**k rings" thing. What say the good people of CycleChat?
Notion begins with a No!

OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Tell you what... Heading down Southwark Bridge Road on the way home tonight, and guess what pulled out from a side road in front of me, from the left turning right, with the driver looking to his left and not at me?

Yep... 66-plate Audi A4 estate in a crimson metallic. And no, I haven't made this up.

I'm not counting it as a near miss though, as I anticipated he'd do it and feathered the brake to compensate.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I've recently had two German company cars. I've came from Japanese cars most of my life, so I'm slightly underwhelmed by them. Prior to having these I owned a Mitsubishi Colt and a mint 2006 MX5 2.0 litre sport. The biggest disappointment was a 2017 Mercedes Benz E220D AMG Line estate. It was a nice place to be I guess, the seats were fantastic, and that is a main part of a car. But I had the use of 2017 Nissan Navara prior to this and this had fantastic seats also, with superb lumbar support. The Mercedes is a nice looking car, it was huge, too big. Pretty dull to drive, not that quick, it handled pretty well for a big car, but you were totally disconnected from it. It also had a terrible squeak from the rear parcel cover. I rectified this by stuffing a piece of packaging foam between the parcel cover and it's mounting, I had to put it back in every time I removed this. Everybody to their own, I just didn't get it at all. It was like driving around in an armchair all the time. If I was buying this type of car I'd buy a Skoda Superb, I'm sure it would be better, the 2.0 litre VAG CR Diesel engine is superb. The rear run-flat Pirelli tyres were £265 a corner on the E-Class, they lasted 11,000 miles and I didn't drive it hard. I think I was expecting something amazing, more so driving a Mitsubishi Colt. What a huge anti-climax that car was, the badge means nothing at all to me with cars.

My current car is a 2018 VW Golf GTD. It's a lot better car in every respect. It's well built, goes really well for a diesel and handles very well. It's still a slightly vague/disconnected driving experience coming from an MX5, but that's to be expected. The engine is a belter, I don't know how reliable it is and I don't care because it's not mine. It's not as good on fuel as the 9 speed Merc was, but then again it's a way better drivers car, Audi/VW are nice cars, but overpriced. But then again it will retain more if you sell it. The Golf GTD is a Skoda Octavia VRS as far as I can tell, minus the boot, that's what I'd buy if it was my own.

I personally wouldn't buy a Mercedes, I think VAG are better cars. That's just from what I've owned and being a passenger in. I'm sure a 3 Series BMW Tourer would be a better drive than an A4 Avant though. Just depends what you look for in a car. I don't know what's the most reliable. I've read some bad things about German cars. I've never had any issues with Japanese cars.

The closest pass I've ever had on a bike was from a BMW 3 Series, probably coincidence though... I certainly don't think German car drivers are any worse than others..

If you've got the cash buy what you want. I just think it's a total fallacy that German cars are superior to other brands. Ford's impress me these days, as does my mother's Hyundai I10, what a cracking well built, excellent drive that is...

Last edited:
Top Bottom