I'm toying with the notion of buying an Audi A4

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
If it helps, I had a near miss with a white Audi A4 estate this morning - the driver pulled out of a side street in front of me.
The driver then stopped 100 yards up the road to ask "what was up".
Not much apart from nearly killing me but apparently there was plenty of room, according to the man sat inside a tonne and a half of steel box.

Fair play though, he did apologise after I asked if he'd have pulled that manoeuvre on a car rather than a cyclist, so hopefully he's learned something today.

So if you're thinking of buying an Audi, it's a no from me. If you simply must have a VAG product, buy a Skoda which is the same engineering clad in slightly different bodywork and spend the money you save on bikes.:okay:

Jimidh

Veteran
Let me know what you think about the Q5, it's on our radar as next potential tow car!.

I really enjoyed driving it - so much so that i’m going to spec one up and order it next week.

Very smooth drive with their automatic gear box, very quiet but also receptive.

Driving position is good both for me and my wife who is quite petite

We have two children and there is plenty of space in the back even for my eldest who is 6’2’’.

Big enough boot for a family of four’s luggage.

Certainly I would recommend taking on out for a drive.

Last edited:

keithmac

Guru
I really enjoyed driving it - so much so that i’m going to spec one up and order it next week.

We have two children and there is plenty of space in the back even for my eldest who is 6’2’’.

Sounds all good!. Very similar size to our Kuga, possibly a bit bigger to be fair.

screenman

Legendary Member

Do not go for laminate side glass, it is a nightmare for us dent guys. Great cars though, I fix a good few each week and I like the quality of the product.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Now, I drive an (old) E Class estate. I was recently a delivery driver for MB. I *like* the idea of a car that transports one well, but is not a driver's car, whatever that is. Same with bikes. Relaxed, comfortable. Remove the concept of the "driver's " car and you've taken the aggression out of of a lot of drivers. To make a point: the recent announcement about speed-controlled cars had people saying they'd buy older, uncontrolled motors to avoid such control. That tells you all you need to know about driving problems.
Like it or not, it's probably time we stopped enjoying our cars quite so much, for everyone's sake.

I totally agree. I just don't think that the most recent model of E-Class is worth the money at all. As I said brands mean nothing to me, I just didn't think it was of high enough quality to justify it's price tag. Whether it is good to drive or not. I was expecting a lot better quality for 43K. , I'd buy a Skoda Superb and save a lot of cash, if looking for a large estate car. But that's just my opinion. I guess I shouldn't expect such a large car to be exciting.

I just got the E-Class as a company car, I was expecting more, not just from a drivers point of view..

Last edited:
I totally agree. I just don't think that the most recent model of E-Class is worth the money at all. As I said brands mean nothing to me, I just didn't think it was of high enough quality to justify it's price tag. Whether it is good to drive or not. I was expecting a lot better quality for 43K. , I'd buy a Skoda Superb and save a lot of cash, if looking for a large estate car. But that's just my opinion. I guess I shouldn't expect such a large car to be exciting.

I just got the E-Class as a company car, I was expecting more, not just from a drivers point of view..
I agree with you that it seems a lot of cash for not a lot. Apart from the march of technology, it was often a pleasure to get into my old Merc having driven a new one all day.

gbb

Legendary Member
Now, I drive an (old) E Class estate. I was recently a delivery driver for MB. I *like* the idea of a car that transports one well, but is not a driver's car, whatever that is. Same with bikes. Relaxed, comfortable. Remove the concept of the "driver's " car and you've taken the aggression out of of a lot of drivers. To make a point: the recent announcement about speed-controlled cars had people saying they'd buy older, uncontrolled motors to avoid such control. That tells you all you need to know about driving problems.
Like it or not, it's probably time we stopped enjoying our cars quite so much, for everyone's sake.
Agree re the 'drivers' car mentality.
I drive Vauxhall's for the most part, they're kind of laid back, what I call lazy geared, you're not shifting every 3 seconds , softer suspension etc etc.
I had a Ford Focus...advertised at the time as a 'drivers car'...you're in touch with the road, you 'feel' the road and the car, it responded quickly.. What that meant to me in reality was it transmitted every lump and bump in the road, required constant Input etc etc...I HATED it. Got rid and went back to Vauxhalls.

Agree re the 'drivers' car mentality.
I drive Vauxhall's for the most part, they're kind of laid back, what I call lazy geared, you're not shifting every 3 seconds , softer suspension etc etc.
I had a Ford Focus...advertised at the time as a 'drivers car'...you're in touch with the road, you 'feel' the road and the car, it responded quickly.. What that meant to me in reality was it transmitted every lump and bump in the road, required constant Input etc etc...I HATED it. Got rid and went back to Vauxhalls.
Two best cars I ever had for comfort were both French: a Citroen Xantia anda MkII Renault Laguna. Neither pretended to be anything they weren't. If I could get a diesel auto Xantia with cruise control, I would. Tomorrow.

OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Two best cars I ever had for comfort were both French: a Citroen Xantia anda MkII Renault Laguna. Neither pretended to be anything they weren't. If I could get a diesel auto Xantia with cruise control, I would. Tomorrow.
I had a black Xantia SXi 16v. It had a fantastic ride, looked great, and went like stink. I loved it.

I sold it to buy a Jaguar XJ6 (the X300 one). I loved that too.

perplexed

Guru

I had an 07 plate Laguna Estate, 2.0 ltr diesel. It was fantastic, one of the best cars I've ever had. Mid-spec, well equipped, comfortable and I could get into the 50s per gallon.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Back to Audis, it was an Audi driver who drove at me on a narrow country lane to avoid going over a bit of horse muck the other day.

Guard against that mindset if you buy one.

OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

I got taken off my bike yesterday in Walworth.

It wasn't by an Audi, which I guess is the most positive thing I can say.

OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

Update.

I'm not buying that Audi. Lovely car, but the boot's too small for us (floorspace isn't too bad, but the sloping tailgate cuts into the cubic centimetres).

My decision was vindicated by a nobber in Dulwich Village the other morning honking his/her horn long, loud and repeatedly, driving a similar vehicule, at a Renault driver who had the temerity to drive at an appropriate speed for the locale.

So. Mrs.66 wants some SUV thing. Other than a Skoda Kodiaq (hard to find locally in the budget), I'm not keen. She likes Kia Sportages, and whilst the 7 year warranty is a big plus, I don't like the interior.

A Mercedes B-Class wasn't on my list at all. Then, just fo'shizzle, I checked the boot in one, and found it more commodious than I thought. Then I sat in it, and thought "what a civilised place this is". So I'm taking Mrs.66 to test drive one tomorrow. Problem is, she doesn't like them.

However, the 12 year old 66 junior is very keen on a 3-pointed star on the drive (as am I, though an E-class estate would be more my thing if I had the wedge).

This one may run and run

Top Bottom