I'm toying with the notion of buying an Audi A4

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salar

A fish out of water
I like estates and have had a few, but a few years ago we needed something with a bit more headroom.

We did the rounds for an SUV thingy, but they all looked the same, rounded off corners, slightly sloping backs etc, I like my load carriers to be box shaped.

Anyway the better half fancied a Jeep Renegade, I wasn't at first convinced, me muttering Fiat engine.

I was wrong, we are now on our second one and the auto 4wd has kicked in a few times when conditions got nasty.

It looks a bit Tonka toy and it's certainly different from the norm SUV.

vickster

Legendary Member
I like estates and have had a few, but a few years ago we needed something with a bit more headroom.

We did the rounds for an SUV thingy, but they all looked the same, rounded off corners, slightly sloping backs etc, I like my load carriers to be box shaped.

Anyway the better half fancied a Jeep Renegade, I wasn't at first convinced, me muttering Fiat engine.

I was wrong, we are now on our second one and the auto 4wd has kicked in a few times when conditions got nasty.

Surely a bit tw@tty for the London suburbs though...

Salar

A fish out of water
Luckily I live out in the wilds, it doesn't like us taking it to cities.
One downside of it is a poor turning circle. So no good for quick u turns and getaways.

OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Never really looked at one of them, looks very nice. I wouldn't have any problem convincing SWMBO to have a Merc, she can be a badge snob sometimes. :smile:
I'm the badge snob in this case...

But. Behind the wheel of the Merc is just nicer than the Kia. It's aesthetics, quality, all that stuff.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I'm the badge snob in this case...

But. Behind the wheel of the Merc is just nicer than the Kia. It's aesthetics, quality, all that stuff.

Agreed, kia owner here, service and spares will change your perspective.. 7 yr warranty is just brilliant

OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

Agreed, kia owner here, service and spares will change your perspective.. 7 yr warranty is just brilliant
And, yes, I'm fully armed with that.

But.

You spend most of your driving time inside a car than outside. I sat behind the wheel of the Kia (and others), and thought, "yes, very nice".

I sat behind the wheel of the Merc, and went, "oh....."

Let's see what Mrs.66 says ^_^

Levo-Lon

Guru
And, yes, I'm fully armed with that.

But.

You spend most of your driving time inside a car than outside. I sat behind the wheel of the Kia (and others), and thought, "yes, very nice".

I sat behind the wheel of the Merc, and went, "oh....."

Let's see what Mrs.66 says ^_^

In fairness i have a top of the range kia ceed sport wagon fully loaded, it is a nice place to be.
But a Merc will be mmm

MarkF

Guru

I wouldn't be seen dead in one. It's a raised small Fiat platform and the only Jeep in it is its badge, which is lying. I don't see how it's different from the norm SUV? It's a pastiche, especially the 2wd ones with US army stars!

I loved my Jeeps, Wrangler & Cherokee, but these are not Jeeps. Heartbreaking is the Renegade:cry:

Can't think of a new SUV l'd be seen alive in.....maybe the new Suzuki Jimmy but there is l.o.n.g waiting list, maybe because it is what it looks like?

Audi A4, would have a petrol one.:okay:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

But it's reliability of Kia and similar manufacturers. Me and the missus have Nissans - they don't need garage visits. You know the car will start.
Any car will start these days.

It's just who pays the bills in five years time if it doesn't.

Which is why I wouldn't rule out a Kia or a Hyundai, as their long warranties are a big plus point. But a Merc is a nicer place to be behind the wheel of, for me at least.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Any car will start these days.

It's just who pays the bills in five years time if it doesn't.

Which is why I wouldn't rule out a Kia or a Hyundai, as their long warranties are a big plus point. But a Merc is a nicer place to be behind the wheel of, for me at least.

My manager has just got a 17 plate C class plug in hybrid.
23k with 17 tho on the clock, very nice and 290bhp with a petrol engine.
Its a lovely car and very nice inside, he had a 07 passat for 8 yrs.
He intends to keep the Merc, it's got warranty on the batteries for 5 yr, and 4 i think on the car.
Free to tax.. The 18 models are a lot to tax.
He got it via Motorpoint supermarket car shop and at the moment is very happy.

He got a plug in done at home, you get govt assisted payment for this and so far he's getting 99.8% fuel economy as he is managing to run electric on all his short journeys.
He does about 13 miles a day, school run work and gym, i know, he should buy a bike!!
I told him not to go near Diesel which would be a very big mistake, he followed my advice.

He has no mechanical ability, so everything will be garage, but to be fair nearly everything is now.
Hell of a lot of car, 40k down to 23 in under 2 yrs.
But i think he has bought well as it may be a car that will serve his needs well and its taken the big hit already.

Top Bottom