Import GPX File to 'Smartphone' then use to navigate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
I've been looking at sharing routes I've created in RideGPS with customers who have not got a traditional GPS device. For those of you who don't know I work in a cycle shop and I've made a few local routes that often appeal to visitors.

Ideally I'd like to download or email them the Gpx file of the route, which they can then import onto their phones, then use that phone to Navigate. Most the routes are 2-4 hours long so the limitations of using the phone are diminished. I've tried BikeHUB but that failed to import the route fully each time I tried. On the face of it that app seemed ideal, simple to download, email them the file then use that to navigate; shame it was not reliable. I also have the routes on Strava, but notice if you use a Smartphone it navigates the reverse way around the created route. 'GPX viewer' shows the route on a map as well as your current location, which is better than nothing but not quite what I need.

Often, as in nearly always, the customer is standing in front of me and needs to process everything there and then, so needs to be quite simple otherwise in a busy store environment they give up. That is a slight issue I have with 'GPX viewer', it needs a bit of patience to do in store as it's a bit of a faff, especially with Redhill's notoriously slow internet connection; so once again they nearly always give up. Something like the RideGPS app would also be ideal but the navigation feature is a paid for feature.

Any suggestions?

Tim Hall

Hi Paul. It's a little unclear what you're trying to do. Do the customers already have mapping/routing software on their phones? If not and they have android phones, then Osmand can import a gpx then give turn by turn instructions. It's free , but the interface takes a bit of learning.

Edit. Maps are downloaded and stored locally so a data connection isn't needed on the road.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Can you import a route to google maps? Or maybe create one and then share it?

OP
OP
Paul_Smith SRCC

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
It's focused more on our customers new to cycling, many catch the train from London to Redhill and don't know the area, it's what prompted me to compose routes that I've pedalled since a boy. I have referenced local routes that sell Surrey and Sussex to a potential bike rider in a hope it inspires a new rider to become a regular one. It's a case of, "this is a good tea room, I can show you the route on your phone if you like; will only take a mo'".

I did look at 'OsmAnd', but was really looking something less involved, something very basic and simple to learn in store, maybe with voice recognition so they could listen to the route via a single earpiece with phone in back pocket for example, which is why I dismissed 'GPX viewer'. BikeHUB looked. Yes PeteXXX importing the file into Google Maps would be ideal if it were simple...

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Apparently, google maps will import kmz files quite easily if you can use a file converter on your gpx route.

User269

Just print out the route & turn instructions from RWGPS and give it to 'em. By all means give them a .gpx file to download, but how to do that, and how to operate the navigation software is down to the user.

Katherine

Guru
I've been looking at sharing routes I've created in RideGPS with customers who have not got a traditional GPS device. For those of you who don't know I work in a cycle shop and I've made a few local routes that often appeal to visitors.

Ideally I'd like to download or email them the Gpx file of the route, which they can then import onto their phones, then use that phone to Navigate. Most the routes are 2-4 hours long so the limitations of using the phone are diminished. I've tried BikeHUB but that failed to import the route fully each time I tried. On the face of it that app seemed ideal, simple to download, email them the file then use that to navigate; shame it was not reliable. I also have the routes on Strava, but notice if you use a Smartphone it navigates the reverse way around the created route. 'GPX viewer' shows the route on a map as well as your current location, which is better than nothing but not quite what I need.

Often, as in nearly always, the customer is standing in front of me and needs to process everything there and then, so needs to be quite simple otherwise in a busy store environment they give up. That is a slight issue I have with 'GPX viewer', it needs a bit of patience to do in store as it's a bit of a faff, especially with Redhill's notoriously slow internet connection; so once again they nearly always give up. Something like the RideGPS app would also be ideal but the navigation feature is a paid for feature.

Any suggestions?

... But the paid for version is only $6 per month.

Katherine

Guru
My daughter creates routes in Google maps on her pc then she emails it to herself and follows it in Google maps on her Android phone on voice setting. Using voice means that you don't need to leave the screen on so battery lasts a lot longer.

Apparently, google maps will import kmz files quite easily if you can use a file converter on your gpx route.
Ah - now that was interesting.

RwGPS can export maps as *.kml, which Google maps can read. I liked that - a bit fiddly for me to set up; I needed to be signed in to Google maps, to create/import the *.kml file ... but it's dead easy to share. So simple to share maps with kids and others.

Thank you for the prompt :smile:

There isn't a simple solution. The suggestion upthread to print out the route and turn guides is a good one. You could use something like Quo and print onto waterproof paper if you're feeling generous, then also offer the gpx file if they know what to do with it.

OP
OP
Paul_Smith SRCC

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
There isn't a simple solution. The suggestion upthread to print out the route and turn guides is a good one. You could use something like Quo and print onto waterproof paper if you're feeling generous, then also offer the gpx file if they know what to do with it.

I've done something similar, pocket sized laminated cards with the map on one side and suggested refreshment establishments on the other

It's focused more on our customers new to cycling, many catch the train from London to Redhill and don't know the area, it's what prompted me to compose routes that I've pedalled since a boy. I have referenced local routes that sell Surrey and Sussex to a potential bike rider in a hope it inspires a new rider to become a regular one. They often pop in as we are very close to the station, I am frequently asked if I can recommend a good place for a refreshment stop, so I'd like to reply with "this is a good tea room and it's a lovely ride from here, I can show you the route on your phone if you like; will only take a mo'".

I did look at 'OsmAnd', but was really looking something less involved, something very basic and simple to learn in store, maybe with voice recognition so they could listen to the route via a single earpiece with phone in back pocket for example. I dismissed 'GPX viewer' although that would at least be of some assistance if I can't find something like 'BikeHUB', that looked ideal!

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Google Maps is going to be simplest for your customers: chances are they already have it on their phone and know how to use it.

OP
OP
Paul_Smith SRCC

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
Someone has suggested BikeGPX, but they have not actually used it on a ride yet. Looks ideal except I can find virtually no reviews about it apart from a non English speaking YouTube video; I wonder if anyone in here as used it?

For now I have recommended customers use GPXviewer as at least it's quite simple, will show them the route and their current location, plus I have also linked them to the OsmAnd app and added a Youtube link of a user adding GPX files and following them on the app. I have also referenced that like any GPS device none should be relied on as your only means of navigation; my Garmin 810 drives me around the bend nearly as much as it navigates me around one :laugh:

Top Bottom