Import GPX File to 'Smartphone' then use to navigate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Katherine

Guru
Someone has suggested BikeGPX, but they have not actually used it on a ride yet. Looks ideal except I can find virtually no reviews about it apart from a non English speaking YouTube video; I wonder if anyone in here as used it?

For now I have recommended customers use GPXviewer as at least it's quite simple, will show them the route and their current location, plus I have also linked them to the OsmAnd app and added a Youtube link of a user adding GPX files and following them on the app. I have also referenced that like any GPS device none should be relied on as your only means of navigation; my Garmin 810 drives me around the bend nearly as much as it navigates me around one :laugh:
You could also make some simple cue cards and laminate them. If you fold them before laminating them they are easier to fold afterwards ( school TA speaking here).

Tim Hall

Someone has suggested BikeGPX, but they have not actually used it on a ride yet. Looks ideal except I can find virtually no reviews about it apart from a non English speaking YouTube video; I wonder if anyone in here as used it?

There's reviews of BikeGPX on the Google Play Store page for it. I've just installed it to play with.

Big caveat here.....I really don't know what I'm talking about , but the instructions I kept for importing a route to Maps.me are as follows:

Create route using cycle.travel

Email KML/KMX file to yourself

Press and hold the KML file until you can choose to launch it from Maps.me

Maps opens and the bookmark loads.

You can now view the KML file route in Maps.me

No idea if this is of any use to you, but I did manage to set up a route using this method many moons ago, so it must be REALLY simple!^_^

Last edited:

Tim Hall

What did you think of it Tim?
Sorry Paul, I've been a bit busy and only got round to trying it today.

I created a gpx using RidewithGPS for a 16km/10 mile route through the lanes. Dropped that onto my phone by putting it in a dropbox folder, clicked on it and was given the choice of opening it with OSMAnd (which I put on my phone some months back) or Bike GPX. I chose the latter (duh). After minimal faffing I was presented with a Google map overlain with a red line showing my route, markers at 5km intervals and a blue dot showing my position. (there are other ways of getting it to load a gpx file described on the help screen)

I tend to ride with my phone in my pocket, so selected the "alarm when off course" and started my journey. It seems to poll position around every 15 - 20 seconds, so going deliberately off course didn't alarm (beeping noise in my headphones) until a bit after I'd gone astray. Getting back on course gave another (different) beep. It did pretty much what it said it would, although it doesn't seem to work when running in the background. It's designed to be used displaying constantly, with the phone on a handlebar mount, which isn't what I do, so I guess this isn't a very fair trial.

I used it on the same route going home and it didn't complain I was going the "wrong" way. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing I'm not sure. It was a good thing for me, as I followed the line home, but I guess could cause confusion if on a circular route.

It doesn't do turn by turn instructions, but doesn't claim to either. I'm not sure whether it downloads the Google map when loaded with the route, or whether it gets more bits of Google map as the journey progresses. The latter would have an impact on data useage.

Overall, yes, shows position in relation to route, warns when you go off route and is simple to use.

drjoshua

I was really impressed by the simple layout of BikeGPX. It has two big advantages, it´s free and it´s easy to use.
Why not do what we are going to do? We use RWGPS to show and describe the routes. Then users have three choices:
1. Download a GPX and use an app of their choice (I use Viewranger, Galieo or OSMAnd)
2. They simply use RWGPS app (not free)
3. They use BikeGPX and shoot a picture of our QR-code on the route on RWGPS (https://ridewithgps.com/ambassador_routes/1313-mtb-mosseberg-runt)

It was a Ride Ambassadors route but you can put the QR-code as a POI in the route map.
More simple than that is worth writing in a post below and we consider it! ;-)

OP
OP
Paul_Smith SRCC

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
@drjoshua :welcome: and thanks for posting. Maybe @Paul_Smith SRCC will come back and tell us whether he's found a good solution (to his challenge in August).

Not really no, I couldn't get Bike GPX to work at all so gave up on that one as feared if I couldn't a customer standing in the store may not be able to either. In the end I recommended the following on the local routes section I link to on the stores 'Bike Hire' Page, after each route that I composed I then have a GPX link *. I have also laminated copies of each map small enough to go in a cycling jersey pocket and often print off a clearer and much larger A4 copy for those who want one that they can fold up and also take with them.

" Smartphone apps: If you want to view the route on your smartphone one way is to download the android GPX Viewer app (Click for IPhone) then scroll down and download to your computer the GPX * file I have linked to of the route you want to do, attach that file to an email and send-download that to your phone, which you can then upload and view in the app. Another app that offers more features is 'OsmAnd' although that is far more involved to set up then use. 'OsmAnd' works totally offline but also has a (fast) online option, with turn-by-turn voice guidance for the android version; there is a good youtube link that may help. Ridewithgps offer a 6$ per month app that also offers TBT direction. "

Last edited:
I am guessing you work at C and N cycles @Paul_Smith SRCC? I used to drop in there back in the day. I moved away from Redhill 20 years ago, but when I go back to visit family, I take my bike with me so I can go for a spin on the roads I used as a kid.

OP
OP
Paul_Smith SRCC

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
I am guessing you work at C and N cycles @Paul_Smith SRCC? I used to drop in there back in the day. I moved away from Redhill 20 years ago, but when I go back to visit family, I take my bike with me so I can go for a spin on the roads I used as a kid.
I do yes, I dare say you recognised nearly all the routes I listed as they are well ridden favourites. Some take in new cyclists tea rooms so maybe worth checking them out :becool:

Top Bottom