Impromptu cyclists :-D

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8627026.stm

"A London businessman stranded in France by the no-fly ban is back in the UK after having to buy a women's bicycle to allow him aboard a returning ferry.

Thom Noble, 52, from Highgate, said operator Norfolkline had no foot passenger tickets left and would only let him on as a cyclist.

He said staff at Dunkirk even made him ride the cycle, which he bought from a second-hand shop, up the ferry's ramp"

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
hahaha

buggi

Bird Saviour
That's pretty amazing because i seem to remember that 3 years ago i was doing a charity ride and we had to cross from Dover to Dunkirk on a Norfolkline ferry. The ferry company then informed the Charity at the last minuted that they had decided they would be no longer taking cyclists, only foot passengers, and the charity had to re-arrange all the ferry arrangements. As were booked into hotels in Dunkirk, Arras and Compiegne, the charity had to make coach arrangements to take us from Calais to Dunkirk. Seems that company just want to be awkward when it suits them.

Brains

Legendary Member
I'm in the shipping business. This does not pass the logic test

The ship is certified to carry a certain number of crew and passengers, a number that can not be exceeded. It also has a limit of the number of vehicles, usually controlled by the number of lane meters available

Norfolk line should be getting on the maximum number of vehicles permissible (or that have booked) and then fill the rest of the passenger quota with foot passengers.

I can only imagine the bike angle was so that he could queue jump as he was a 'vehicle and driver' rather than a foot passenger

Norfolk Line's main business is cross channel freight, the current foot passenger 'boom' must just be cream for them

longers

Legendary Member
I was told in the curry house tonight that ferry companies have put up their prices quite steeply for passengers that haven't pre booked. It's one way to make a few quid and I'm not a business man but that seems very greedy, if true.

Keith Oates

Janner
I'm not sure about the ferries but I know that (out here at least) most hotel rooms are offered at discounts to try and get more customers but at busy times, such as trade fairs, etc., they almost double in some cases to the full price which is listed in their official brochures and which you normally don't see advertised!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

longers said:
I was told in the curry house tonight that ferry companies have put up their prices quite steeply for passengers that haven't pre booked. It's one way to make a few quid and I'm not a business man but that seems very greedy, if true.

It's just how business works. They're in business to make a profit, demand's gone up: what else are they going to do but increase the price?

longers

Legendary Member
That's why I'd make a rubbish businessman.

Top Bottom