Improvements and disimprovements over time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Now into discussion

I really like friction shifters. I have the Dura Ace 9 speed ones on my recumbent.

Advantages

Far lighter to have bar end shifters and pure brakes than STI
Far cheaper
Simple to replace cables
They don’t chew cables to start with so replacing cables is a rare thing.
Shifting 1,2,3,4,5,6 gears at a time is simple with a single lever throw and muscle memory gets you there every time.
You can put in a 10 speed wheel or 8 speed or 9 speed and just get riding. No gear adjustment required. You are not locked into speeds
On long distance rides you don’t get numb hands (applies more to upright bikes as you don’t get numb hands on recumbents anyway)
You can see roughly what gear you are in and whether you have more cogs for shifting up and down

Disadvantages

You get called a dinosaur 🦖

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Strap on luggage vs pannier setup

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Now into discussion

I really like friction shifters. I have the Dura Ace 9 speed ones on my recumbent.
[...]
I'd tend to agree with much of this. Friction shifters are way easier to install and maintain and nice to use. Mind you I use do brifters. Partly because personally I find them a bit of a nicer experience but also because it's the path of least resistance. I'm not into building my own bikes and constantly changing things around. If I was I may have fitted them.

Points I disagree with are: Numb hands - I've not found them to be more of a problem vs friction shifters. Maybe others have, but I haven't. You can see what gear you are in regardless of the type of shifter. And I don't care about being able to put different kinds of wheel in as that's not something I ever want to do. But others, who own a vast library of wheels and like to keep changing things round, may find this useful.

I'd also add - more reliable. Brifters are phenomenally reliable for something so complex but they do go wrong, as I found out just before I went on tour this year. The replacement arrived by post the day before I set off (after doing a mystery tour of Britain's sorting offices) ... which was cutting it uncomfortably fine.

Last edited:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Now into discussion

Advantages

Far lighter to have bar end shifters and pure brakes than STI
Far cheaper
Simple to replace cables
They don’t chew cables to start with so replacing cables is a rare thing.
Shifting 1,2,3,4,5,6 gears at a time is simple with a single lever throw and muscle memory gets you there every time.
You can put in a 10 speed wheel or 8 speed or 9 speed and just get riding. No gear adjustment required. You are not locked into speeds
On long distance rides you don’t get numb hands (applies more to upright bikes as you don’t get numb hands on recumbents anyway)
You can see roughly what gear you are in and whether you have more cogs for shifting up and down

Disadvantages

You get called a dinosaur 🦖
That! My next build will have downtube shifters. Friction ones are a bit unobtanium ATM, but I have some 9 speed ones. A 34T chainset and 12-36T cassette gives me all the range I need.

Top Bottom