Improvements and disimprovements over time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Modern rims, box-section and using sophisticated aluminium alloys are so much stronger and allow robust wheels with modest numbers of spokes.
Concealed cables are merely a pointless pain in the fundament.
Square-taper bottom-brackets are brilliant.

OP
OP
mpemburn

mpemburn

40 vs 36 vs 32 vs 28 vs 24 vs 20 spoke counts in wheels
I think the first wheels I ever built were 36 spoke 3-cross. My current bike has 20 spoke rear and 18 spoke front. They seem quite strong, despite.

OP
OP
mpemburn

mpemburn

Now into discussion

I really like friction shifters. I have the Dura Ace 9 speed ones on my recumbent.

Advantages

Far lighter to have bar end shifters and pure brakes than STI
Far cheaper
Simple to replace cables
They don’t chew cables to start with so replacing cables is a rare thing.
Shifting 1,2,3,4,5,6 gears at a time is simple with a single lever throw and muscle memory gets you there every time.
You can put in a 10 speed wheel or 8 speed or 9 speed and just get riding. No gear adjustment required. You are not locked into speeds
On long distance rides you don’t get numb hands (applies more to upright bikes as you don’t get numb hands on recumbents anyway)
You can see roughly what gear you are in and whether you have more cogs for shifting up and down

Disadvantages

You get called a dinosaur 🦖
You make a good point. I used “dinosaur” shifters for years and never found them to be problem. My mid-90s mountain bike came with indexed grip shifters, and I was completely charmed by the improvement.

When I bought my first “modern” road bike (used), it had old Ultegra STI with a triple and a 10 speed cassette. I decided to upgrade to Ultegra 11 speed a couple of years later, and had to replace the wheels, cassette, crankset, derailleurs, chain, and shifters. Even with some used parts, this was about $600 worth of parts. Despite the cost, it was the best upgrade I’ve ever made.

OP
OP
mpemburn

mpemburn

I just wonder how well a 18 spoke wheel would hold up if one or two spokes went. Would it still be rideable or a complete Pringle?
Pretty sure it’d “Pringle” (great image!). Knock on wood, I’ve never had a spoke break in many, many years of riding. May have to do with weight: 155 lbs/11 stone. Doesn’t acceleration also factor in? I’m no jackrabbit in that regard.

Dale 1956

with most Shimano DT shifters the indexing can be switched off leaving them as friction.
You can do that but it's not as good as real friction shifters are. Ask me how I know lol.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
You can do that but it's not as good as real friction shifters are. Ask me how I know lol.
my set are fine,

Top Bottom