Improving exam results

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
marinyork said:
That the UK is the laughing stock for maths teaching is not exactly something to be proud of.

You've missed the point and the irony.

I was implying that standards have slipped so far that I can tackle almost any problem on demand despite not being actively involved with maths education for twenty years and physics for twelve. I was kept on my toes by A-level teaching twenty years ago.

The current courses are pedestrian and almost content free in comparison.

vernon

A further point to make is that, with the easing of academic demands and reduction in content, more marginal students are tackling the courses and for these students and their teachers the courses are indeed challenging ones.

I worry about the de-skilling that appears to be taking place for a whole generation of youngsters.

The continuing dilution of standards is the only way that academic performance improvements can be sustained.

mark barker

vernon said:
I am a teacher and I state emphatically that exams are easier now.

I still have past exam papers for chemistry, physics and mathematics going back to 1974.
Well I can't go back that far, but in the 10 years that I've been teaching I don't believe that the standards have dropped. Sure, the requirements have changed, but thats only to be expected.

Do you really believe that if the majority of parents were to sit the exams now they would get a grade equal to or higher than they did at school? I doubt it!

mark barker said:
Do you really believe that if the majority of parents were to sit the exams now they would get a grade equal to or higher than they did at school? I doubt it!

As someone who sat A level Maths, Physics & Chemistry 30 years ago getting 3 C's I am positive I would fail miserably if I were to take the exams today. Not because of any change in the standards, but because I can't remember any of the stuff I was taught. Apart from a very limited subset of subjects I just have not had the need to know thing like Boyles Law.

PaulB

Legendary Member
coruskate said:
Don't they sell homeopathic remedies(sic) as well? I would be wary of applying the adjective "reputable"

Homeopathic 'remedies'. A huge scam to catch out the gullible.

vernon

mark barker said:
Well I can't go back that far, but in the 10 years that I've been teaching I don't believe that the standards have dropped. Sure, the requirements have changed, but thats only to be expected.

Parents using subject related skills should have no difficulty in equalling or exceeding their grades. I am such a parent. My wife teaches German and is confident enough to claim that she'd clear an A in French despite deserting it twenty years ago.

I am genuinely concerned about the disappearance of large amounts of countent from the science and maths courses that do require higher level thinking skills.

Remember, just last week the exam boards have been instructed to re-write their examinations as they were deemed to be too easy at GCSE level. I wonder when there will be an intervention at A/S level.

Gove does have a point in his request for summary assessment at the end of a two year course:

Many of the high grades awarded come as a result of the ability of students to re-sit modules until they get the 'right grade' when combined with less demanding questions it's no wonder that grade inflation happens.

I have no problems in accepting modular exam results if the 'first sitting' only results are counted for performance comparisons.

Not all A grades are equal. One candidate might have taken double the number of modules as another.

The knowledge that re-sits are available are a noticeable disincentive for some student to take the first sittings seriously.

Top Bottom