Improving FTP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gzoom

Über Member
Until fairly recently I've had no interest in FTP/power but since am now doing 99% of my 'hard' riding in doors am keen to see if I can improve my FTP.

My weight is pretty stable at 75kg, and coming up to 40 recovery definitely takes longer than it use to.

My first 20 minutes FTP test back in May was just under 200 watts and the one I did yesterday was just under 240watts.

If possible I would like to get over 250watts on the 20 minute test, but yesterdays effort really wiped me out, you can see towards the end I was really struggling!!

Over the last 2 months I've been mainly doing HIT and grinding sessions at low cadence. Would doing more lower intensity session help me to reach the magical (for me) 250watts figure by the end of year??

I'm not really interested in a 'discussion' about the accuracy of power figures, more about the kind of riding to do to improve fitness :smile:.

51544487561_89dbe3d8d9_c_d.jpg

51545218494_1346e91f2c_c_d.jpg

Sharky

Guru
Don't know about the mechanics of an FTP test, as I've never done one. But looking at the output graph, you seem to be saving yourself for the last few minutes. Try increasing the output in the first 10 minutes and don't worry about not being able to complete 20 minutes. Reduce the duration and concentrate on matching the target output. Only when you attain the target power output, should you increase the duration.

Milzy

Guru
To bring it up quickly ride in sweet spot & do some VO2 max intervals. You Soon will platueu though, this is where you need hours & hours of lower intensity. 6 hours a week will get you respectable fitness time crunched but 10 hours a week you’ll see a fair difference.

CXRAndy

Guru
It's a combination of a huge chunk of low intensity and small amount HIIT. You need to tune your cardiovascular system by many hours of low intensity rides.
You will develop better if you can use a higher cadence, instead of reliance on leg strength.

My best FTP (genuine 1 hour test) came on the back of months of low intensity riding and a week in Tenerife riding every day for many hours per day.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
As an aside the 20 min test strikes me as being ... I dunno ... Odd.

I've done a few and I find they need a lot of pacing skill. Me and skill don't go together so I get variable results, as it depends how bold I'm feeling. On the other hand a ramp test takes the skill out of it. You just pedal until you can't, and stop.

Of course if you know your FTP reasonably well and are used to doing them ... no problem.

OP
OP
G

gzoom

Über Member
Thanks for the comments my 60 minute rides are averaging 210watts, not going full out by decent amount of work in HR Zone 3.

I'll focus more on the 'Endurance' sessions over the next few months with less HIT/grinding sessions, and than retest as a Xmas present to my self :laugh:.

51546398773_2e5d0d2921_c_d.jpg

Until fairly recently I've had no interest in FTP/power but since am now doing 99% of my 'hard' riding in doors am keen to see if I can improve my FTP.

My weight is pretty stable at 75kg, and coming up to 40 recovery definitely takes longer than it use to.

My first 20 minutes FTP test back in May was just under 200 watts and the one I did yesterday was just under 240watts.

If possible I would like to get over 250watts on the 20 minute test, but yesterdays effort really wiped me out, you can see towards the end I was really struggling!!

Over the last 2 months I've been mainly doing HIT and grinding sessions at low cadence. Would doing more lower intensity session help me to reach the magical (for me) 250watts figure by the end of year??

I'm not really interested in a 'discussion' about the accuracy of power figures, more about the kind of riding to do to improve fitness :smile:.

View attachment 611880

View attachment 611881
Are you following an interval based training plan. There's lots out there but the basic principal I see is hit it hard, then recover to adapt (hopefully seeing a FTP rise, if not and probably more importantly a fitness rise).

mattobrien

Guru
There’s a knack to doing an ftp test, pacing is absolutely critical. I prefer to increase my power rather than go hard and slowly die toward the end. The more you test the better you’ll be at testing and pacing.

I tried a slightly different approach yesterday, going a little harder early and then still pushing on towards the end but not quite as hard as I usually would as there was less left in the tank. Overall I managed a 3 watt increase on the last time I did one, small increases but hopefully I’ll continue to grow over the winter. I’d like to make 11w over the winter ready for next time trial season.

Top Bottom