Improving FTP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'd sign up to a specific FTP builder plan on Training Peaks, not expensive and it will give you some structure specifically aimed at improving FTP.

240w @ 20mins with 75kgs = 3w p/kg which isn't too shabby:okay:.

The weather is changing here so indoor will become the norm soon, but i like it for training plans as it's easy to structure it.

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
If you struggle to pace a test just do a ramp test. Just as accurate.
I think that different physiologies and psychologies lend themselves to 20-min and ramp tests. I can just about hold 315W for 20 minutes but, because I have relatively good 1- and 2-minute power, I can dig deep and, according to a recent ramp test my FTP is 318W. At that rate, I should be able to sustain ~335W for 20 minutes!

Milzy

Guru
I think that different physiologies and psychologies lend themselves to 20-min and ramp tests. I can just about hold 315W for 20 minutes but, because I have relatively good 1- and 2-minute power, I can dig deep and, according to a recent ramp test my FTP is 318W. At that rate, I should be able to sustain ~335W for 20 minutes!
You hit the nail on the head there. I think as long as you try hard to drain the tank on which ever & have a figure to go by, the training will work.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner

But that’s just your FTP being a different percentage of your highest Ramp 1 min power. Work out what the percentage is if you have the 20 min result as well. Then use that percentage next time. FTP was always intended to be a range of ramp not 75% (or whatever you software has it fixed at).of that max 1 min power.

If you struggle to pace a test just do a ramp test. Just as accurate.
For 85% of the population it's just as accurate, and has the great advantage of less TSS but for 7.5% it over estimates and likewise for 7.5% it under estimates. My best 20min test pre this season was circa 50w lower than my last ramp test. I switched to ramp tests mid season until the results got ridiculous.

Milzy

Guru
For 85% of the population it's just as accurate, and has the great advantage of less TSS but for 7.5% it over estimates and likewise for 7.5% it under estimates. My best 20min test pre this season was circa 50w lower than my last ramp test. I switched to ramp tests mid season until the results got ridiculous.
The 20 min test can be practised easily once you know roughly what you can do it’s easy enough to pace. I think you get a better sense of satisfaction out of it.

OP
OP
G

gzoom

Über Member
Thanks for the advice/comments, restarting the 'Build your PowerZone' program on Peloton. Mainly Zone 2-3-4 45 minute sessions, I was thinking that looks 'too easy' but it seems like the right thing to do :smile:.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not sure how you all do it on a turbo so much. I have Zwift as a back up, but not used it for months. Outside it is, sure fire way to increase FTP without noticing.

OP
OP
G

gzoom

Über Member
Not sure how you all do it on a turbo so much. I have Zwift as a back up, but not used it for months. Outside it is, sure fire way to increase FTP without noticing.

Time, time, and more recently for me safety.

I took up road cycling again during lockdown, but the last 12 months work has been so busy I literally have no time free. The indoor bike means I can actually squeeze in rides between Teams meetings....I've thought about been on the bike whilst doing a Teams meeting but that may not be professional :laugh:.

I do still commute to work on the eBike half the week, but after a few close calls recently am very much take it slow and steady rather than ride with any focus on training/speed.

The final bit is for me the Peloton programs are actually 'fun', so I actually enjoy doing them.

If it's of any help, Dylan Johnson (endurance cyclist and coach) on YouTube has some really great videos that go into the science of how to build FTP. Spoiler: the studies generally concede it's long zone 2 endurance hours. But there's more to it that might be helpful: Building FTP

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
With HIIT remember to switch it up - don't do the same session over and over again. Do 60/60, 60/30, 30/60, 40/20, 20/40, 6/60 etc. Mix it up.

To get the best result in a test you will want to do a good effort somewhere at the start, then settle down at a comfortable pace and then push it again towards the end. Try doing 240W for a minute, then 290W for 2 minutes, followed by 240W for 14 minutes, another 290W for 2 minutes and at least 240W in the last one.

But if you want to keep it simple, I suggest you get a good warm up, start a 20 min. timer and pedal at more or less exactly 250W and see how long you can hold it. You might actually do it for 18.5-19 minutes. Then it's a matter of how much you want it ;-)

mattobrien

Guru
To get the best result in a test you will want to do a good effort somewhere at the start, then settle down at a comfortable pace and then push it again towards the end. Try doing 240W for a minute, then 290W for 2 minutes, followed by 240W for 14 minutes, another 290W for 2 minutes and at least 240W in the last one.

I know if I tried pacing a 20 min ftp test like that then I would get a sub optimal result. Personally I like to start steady and increase as time progresses, going higher at the beginning wouldn’t work for me, but if it works for you, good luck

I know if I tried pacing a 20 min ftp test like that then I would get a sub optimal result. Personally I like to start steady and increase as time progresses, going higher at the beginning wouldn’t work for me, but if it works for you, good luck
My 20mins bests have come with a high first interval but I wouldn't take my FTP of them; as they have been interval session with anaerobic energy kicking them off. My best FTP tests have come as you say starting off steady and then building before going full out in the last minute.

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
To get the best result in a test you will want to…

But if you want to keep it simple, I suggest you…

While both of these suggestions will give you A result, they’ll be far from your BEST results.

If you’re on Zwift, try manually setting your FTP level a little bit on the conservative side, then set up a custom workout where, after a warmup, you do a 20-minute effort increasing from 104% to 107% of FTP. If you succeed in completing the workout, your FTP will rise by about 1%. Try again a few days later, and then again a few days later, until the workout becomes impossible for you to complete.

OP
OP
G

gzoom

Über Member
Thanks all for the comments, I take on the comments about FTP 20 minute technique, so will see how I go at the next 'test'.

Am currently half way through the 'Build your FTP' PowerZone program in Peloton. Its essentially what people here have suggested, 45minute - 1hr sessions at Zone 2/3 and a bit of 4/5 on occasions.

Man flu (confirmed by x3 negative lateral flow + one PCR COVID tests :smile:) have slowed me down a bit, but I've managed to stick to the schedule so far, will let people know how I get on.

51621075321_6a899c2535_c_d.jpg

Top Bottom